Chibok girl escapes Boko Haram captors after 9 years, 2 husbands, 3 children – Newstrends
Connect with us

metro

Chibok girl escapes Boko Haram captors after 9 years, 2 husbands, 3 children

Published

on

Saratu Dauda (middle) is one of the 276 schoolgirls Boko Haram kidnapped from a school in Chibok, Borno in 2014(NAN)

Chibok girl escapes Boko Haram captors after 9 years, 2 husbands, 3 children

The Theatre Commander, North-East Joint Operation Hadin Kai, Maj.- Gen. Ibrahim Ali, disclosed this while briefing newsmen at the Maimalari Cantonment in Maiduguri.

Ali said that Saratu was rescued on May 6, 2023 by troops of 21 Armoured Brigade during a clearance operation at Ukuba in the Sambisa Forest in the Bama Local Government Area of Borno.

He said that the 25-year-old Saratu, listed as serial number 10 on the list of the abducted victims, is a native of Mbalala community in the Chibok Local Government Area.

“She was once married to one Abou Yusuf who she later divorced before getting married to one Ba’ana Muhammad, also known as Abou Zinira, the Boko Haram terrorists’ IED expert.

“She had three daughters aged 7, 5 and 2 years old with Ba’ana, but left them in the terrorists hideouts during her escape.

READ ALSO:

“She has within the past 10 days undergone intensive medical care and checks at the military hospital in Maimalari. She will be handed over to the officials of the Borno State Ministry of Women Affairs.

“So far, efforts to rescue her children and other victims were still ongoing,” he said.

He also recalled the recent presentation of two other Chibok girls rescued by the troops.

“Consequently, on May 4 this year, Hauwa Maltha and Esther Marcus, both serial numbers two and 103 on the list of the missing victims, and three of their children were handed over to the officials of the Borno State Government,” he said.

According to him, their rescue among other several women and children was largely driven by the kinetic and non-kinetic activities of Operation Hadin Kai, especially in the ongoing Operation Desert and Lake Sanity II.

“As of today, the statistics of the 276 abducted Chibok girls indicate that 57 girls escaped in 2014; 107 released in 2018; three were rescued in 2019, two were recovered in 2021; 11 girls were rescued in 2022 and three rescued so far in 2023. This brings to 182 out of captivity remaining 93 unaccounted for.

“At this juncture let me state that the joint efforts of Operation Hadin Kai under the strategic guidance of the Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces, Chief of Defence Staff, Chief of Army Staff, Chief of Naval Staff and the Chief Air Staff, has continued to yield more Operational successes in the North Eastern Region of Nigeria,” he said.

He also lauded the support of the Borno government and assured the people of the Northeast of the commitment of the military to contain the insurgency in the region.

Responding after receiving the rescued Chibok girl, the state Commissioner of Women Affairs, Hajiya Zuwaira Gambo, lauded the military for the successes being recorded, particularly in rescuing the girls.

Gambo said that the Chibok girl, like others, would undergo rehabilitation under the ministry before handing over to her family.

Chibok girl escapes Boko Haram captors after 9 years, 2 husbands, 3 children

Pulse

Education

Oromoni’s death natural but avoidable, coroner rules

Published

on

Oromoni’s death natural but avoidable, coroner rules 

Sylvester Oromoni died of a natural cause and not due to any action by his school, Down College, or accused five students of the college.

This is the verdict of a coroner, Mikhail Kadiri, who presided over the matter on Monday during a seven-hour magistrate court sitting in Ogba, Lagos.

The judgement coming after a two-year inquiry, affirmed that the 12-year-old died of sepsis emanating from an infection of the lungs and kidney due to an ankle injury.

The coroner however said his death was an avoidable case of parents and medical team’s negligence.

Sylvester Oromoni Junior who was a student of Dowen College in Lekki, Lagos, died on November 30, 2021.

The coroner cleared the five students of the college accused in the case, ruling that they played no part in the death of Sylvester and should not have been involved in the matter.

He also advised parents not to take their children’s health with levity.

The magistrate also called for better cooperation between the police and medical team and that the police must exercise caution before making arrests in the future.

Continue Reading

metro

Ekpa offers to strengthen Israeli army with 15,000 IPOB ‘troops’

Published

on

Simon Ekpa

Ekpa offers to strengthen Israeli army with 15,000 IPOB ‘troops’

A factional leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra, IPOB, Simon Ekpa, has offered military support to the Israeli government in its fight against Hamas militants and Iran.

Ekpa, in a statement on his verified X page on Sunday, noted that no fewer than 15000 well-trained Biafran Liberation troops are ready to support Israel “if need be.”

Ekpa’s statement comes after Iran fired missiles at Israel in retaliation for the attack on its embassy without an adequate response from the United Nations Security Council.

READ ALSO:

Reacting to Iran’s attack on Israel, Ekpa stated that “the Biafran government is ready to help Israel with ground forces if needed, up to 15,000 well-trained Biafran Liberation troops. The Biafran government will also offer maximum protection to @IsrealinNigeria within 4 hours of notice.”

It will be recalled that the factional leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra has been declared wanted by the Defense Headquarters over terrorism.

Newstrends reports that he was declared wanted by the DHQ along with no fewer than 96 people. They include terrorists and rebels, wanted for their involvement in terrorism in the country.

Ekpa offers to strengthen Israeli army with 15,000 IPOB ‘troops’

Continue Reading

metro

Drunk driver crushes 3 sisters to death in Nasarawa

Published

on

An accident Scene (File photo)

Drunk driver crushes 3 sisters to death in Nasarawa

Suleiman Ozakwo’s family in Anguwar Baiyi, Toto LGA, Nasarawa State, was devastated when a drunk man, Ya Zakari, drove a Toyota Corolla and crushed three of their daughters.

A family member, Saidu Alhassan, told City & Crime that the event occurred on Friday at 4 p.m.

He added that the three teenage sisters, Nusaiba, Maryam, and Rumaisa, were crushed after they left their home as usual to pay Sallah visit to their uncle’s wife, a few meters from the ohinoyi’s palace.

He said, “They were walking on the shoulder of the road while coming back from their uncle’s place when a drunk man on speed ran into them with his car, killing them on the spot.”

READ ALSO:

He further said that the suspect was apprehended and taken to the police station, but that later a mob asked the police for the vehicle he drove which they set ablaze.

The father of the deceased children, Suleiman Ozakwo, who also spoke with our reporter, described their death as untimely, even as he said he could not challenge God for the tragedy and asked people to join in praying for the souls of his daughters to continue to rest in peace.

When City & Crime visited the police station, a police officer who preferred anonymity, said, “The man was arrested as he was drunk when he crashed his car into the three teenage girls and killed them on the spot. He will be arraigned in court on Monday.”

Drunk driver crushes 3 sisters to death in Nasarawa

Continue Reading

Trending

Skip to content