Ikoyi building: More govt officials’ll be fired –Sanwo-Olu - Newstrends
Connect with us

metro

Ikoyi building: More govt officials’ll be fired –Sanwo-Olu

Published

on

•Gives panel 30 days to submit report, releases names of 6 out 9 rescued survivors

Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu has  vowed that more government officials would be fired just as he declared that no stone would be left unturned in attempt to unravel what really went wrong at the collapsed 21-storey in Ikoyi.

The governor who made the pledged at the scene of the incident, yesterday, handed the Independent Panel of Inquiry a 30-day deadline to submit the report of the findings of the cause(s) of the collapse.

General Manager of the building control agency (LASBCA), Gbolahan Oki, has already been slammed with  an indefinite suspension while unconfirmed reports from multiple sources put the death toll at 29 at press time last night.

Governor Sanwo-Olu said an Executive Order would be signed to give legal backing to the panel to investigate the immediate and remote causes of the accident.

“I have set up a high powered commission of enquiry, it is a strong professional investigative panel consisting of everybody from outside of government. The panel has 30 days to work and report back to us. I’ll be signing an executive order to give legal backing to their composition so they can stay work immediately and turn out a report not later than 30 days.”

READ ALSO:

Members of the panel are Toyin Ayinde (chairman); Ekundayo Onajobi (secretary); Idris Akintilo; Yinka Ogundairo; Godfrey. O. Godfrey and Mrs Bunmi Ibrahim.

The terms of reference is  to determine the causes of the collapse of the building under construction.

‘’Whether they were full compliance with physical planning and building material laws of the state, to determine whether there was any supervisory or oversight lapse on the part of regulatory authority in the state.

‘’The panel is to determine the number of casualty and fatalities, to examine any other matter incidental to any of the terms as stated above, and to make necessary recommendation to guard against the occurrence of such incidents in the state,’’ he said.

The governor assured that the law would take its full course on whoever was found culpable in the incident.

‘’It is on record that we asked the General Manager of the Building Control Agency, Oki to proceed on an indefinite suspension. You can rest assured that if there are other people that are found in the course of the investigation, everybody will also face the full wrath of the law.

‘’So for us to get to the real issue of what had happened, I have set up a high powered commission of inquiry. It is a strong, professional, investigative panel that consists of everybody from outside of government. I will be signing an executive order to give legal backing to their composition, so that you can start work immediately and turn out a report not later than 30 days,’’ he said.

The state government also identified six out  of the nine survivors from the rubbles in the Ikoyi building collapse. They are Oduntan Timilehin (26); Ahmed Keleku (19, from Cotonou); Sunday Monday (21, suffered left leg fracture); Adeniran Mayowa (37, hip injury); Solagbade Nurudeen (33, pelvic injury); and Waliu Lateef (32).

Sanwo-Olu said the bereaved families would be invited to identify their loved ones, latest by tomorrow, after autopsy had been conducted on the bodies.

He added that it was difficult to give an accurate number of workers on site when the accident happened because there was no manifest, and no one, whether the owner, staff, developer or contractor, has come up to provide such information.

“Not having a workers’ manifest clearly contravenes laws guiding construction works,”  the governor said.

The governor urged people to visit the information desk set up on site to provide required information about their relatives working on the site. Information can also be gotten on www.lagosmind.org/help or a mail sent to help@lagosmind.org. The dedicated line to seek psycho-social support is 09090006463.

Sunnewsonline

metro

Dr Sanusi Lafiagi Highlights Ramadan’s Spiritual Blessings, Post-Ramadan Challenges

Published

on

Dr Sanusi Lafiagi, Islamic scholar and Chief Imam of Al-Hikmah University

Dr Sanusi Lafiagi Highlights Ramadan’s Spiritual Blessings, Post-Ramadan Challenges

Ilorin, Kwara StateDr Sanusi Lafiagi, Islamic scholar and Chief Imam of Al-Hikmah University, Kwara State, has explained why the holy month of Ramadan is spiritually unique, emphasizing its role in personal transformation, moral discipline, and societal harmony.

In an exclusive interview with PUNCH, Dr Lafiagi described Ramadan as a “month of mercy, spiritual rejuvenation, and character formation,” citing the Prophet Muhammad (S.A.W.) who said: “Whenever Ramadan commences, all the gates of Paradise are opened, the gates of Hellfire are closed, and the devils are chained.”

According to Dr Lafiagi, these divine conditions make it easier for believers to perform righteous deeds, avoid sins, and draw closer to Allah’s mercy. Beyond fasting from food and drink, he highlighted that Ramadan fosters self-discipline, effective time management, self-restraint, charity, and Qur’an recitation, which help Muslims manage their lives spiritually and morally.

“During Ramadan, believers learn patience, forgiveness, and restraint,” he said, explaining that even when insulted, a fasting person is encouraged to respond calmly, reinforcing moral discipline. He added that acts of charity, especially Zakat al-Fitr, purify the soul while assisting the needy in the community.

READ ALSO:

Dr Lafiagi also addressed why many Muslims struggle to maintain spiritual gains after Ramadan. He explained that after the month ends, the “gates of Jannah close, gates of Hellfire reopen, and the devils are freed,” making it easier for believers to lapse into previous sinful habits.

“Returning to old habits does not necessarily indicate weak faith,” he said, “but it shows that Ramadan’s lessons were not fully internalized in the heart and soul.” He stressed the importance of carrying Ramadan’s spiritual benefits into daily life to sustain moral consistency.

The scholar highlighted Ramadan’s societal impact, noting that consistent lectures and moral reminders during the month often reduce crime, improve social cohesion, and create a safer environment. He stressed that the company one keeps, the social environment, and exposure to media play significant roles in sustaining moral conduct post-Ramadan.

Dr Lafiagi also urged Muslims to utilize key moments during Ramadan, including the last 10 nights, particularly Laylatul Qadr (the Night of Power), where worship is rewarded more than in a thousand months. He emphasized the last third of every night for prayers and the giving of Zakat al-Fitr to purify the fast and help the needy.

Regarding exemptions, he clarified that sick, pregnant, nursing, and menstruating individuals may be exempt from fasting, but they should either make up missed fasts or feed the needy if unable to fast. “Allah does not burden a soul beyond its capacity,” he reminded.

Concluding, Dr Lafiagi stressed that a successful Ramadan is measured not only by the intensity of worship during the month but also by the consistency of righteous deeds and obedience to Allah afterward.

Dr Sanusi Lafiagi Highlights Ramadan’s Spiritual Blessings, Post-Ramadan Challenges

Continue Reading

metro

Assistant Commissioner of Police Dies in Fatal Road Accident

Published

on

Assistant Commissioner of Police Abubakar Balteh
Assistant Commissioner of Police Abubakar Balteh

Assistant Commissioner of Police Dies in Fatal Road Accident

The Assistant Commissioner of Police Abubakar Balteh, head of the State Criminal Investigation Department (SCID) at the Borno State Police Command, has died in a tragic road accident, the Command confirmed. His passing has sparked an outpouring of grief from colleagues and the wider Nigeria Police Force community.

According to a statement issued on Saturday by the Police Public Relations Officer, ASP Nahum Kenneth Daso, on behalf of the Commissioner of Police, ACP Balteh died while travelling in the north-east region. The circumstances surrounding the crash remain under investigation, and further details, including burial arrangements, were expected to be released by the police.

ACP Balteh, who led the SCID in Borno State, was described as a committed and hardworking officer who remained dedicated to his duties up until his death. The statement invoked the Islamic prayer “Innalillahi wa inna ilaihi raji’un” (“Indeed, we belong to Allah and indeed to Him we shall return”), highlighting the profound sense of loss felt within the Command.

READ ALSO:

The late officer’s death represents a significant loss to the Borno State Police, particularly the Criminal Investigation Department, where he played a pivotal role in overseeing investigations and maintaining law and order. His leadership and dedication had earned him respect from colleagues across the police community.

ACP Balteh was laid to rest on Sunday, February 22, 2026, in Potiskum, Yobe State, following Islamic rites. His passing comes just months after the death of another senior officer, Deputy Commissioner of Police Ahmed Ibn Umar, underscoring a challenging period for the Borno State Command.

Tributes have poured in from within the police force and beyond, with officials urging the public to remember the late officer’s family in their thoughts and prayers during this period of mourning. The Borno State Police Command reaffirmed its commitment to continuing the work of maintaining law, order, and safety in the state in honour of the late ACP’s service.

Assistant Commissioner of Police Dies in Fatal Road Accident

Continue Reading

metro

SERAP Urges Tinubu to Repeal ‘Unlawful’ Mass Surveillance Regulations

Published

on

President Bola Ahmed-Tinubu with SERAP

SERAP Urges Tinubu to Repeal ‘Unlawful’ Mass Surveillance Regulations

The Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project (SERAP) has formally called on President Bola Tinubu to withdraw the Lawful Interception of Communications Regulations, 2019, describing them as unconstitutional, unlawful, and inconsistent with Nigeria’s international human rights obligations. The demand follows allegations that the phone of National Security Adviser (NSA) Nuhu Ribadu was intercepted, raising national concerns about phone tapping, mass surveillance, and privacy rights in Nigeria.

In a letter dated 21 February 2026 and signed by SERAP Deputy Director Kolawole Oluwadare, the civil rights organisation urged Tinubu to direct Bosun Tijani, Minister of Communications, Innovation and Digital Economy, to repeal the regulations immediately. SERAP also called for a transparent legislative process to develop lawful interception laws that comply with constitutional safeguards, judicial oversight, and international human rights standards.

READ ALSO:

The organisation criticised the regulations for granting broad and vague powers to intercept communications on grounds such as “national security,” “economic wellbeing,” or “public emergency” without sufficient judicial safeguards, transparency, or independent oversight. SERAP warned that these powers risk being weaponised against journalists, civil society, political opponents, and election observers, especially as Nigeria approaches the 2027 general elections.

According to SERAP, the current framework allows interception without a warrant in situations involving consent, threats to life, or the ordinary course of business. It also expands the category of “authorised agencies” arbitrarily and fails to provide adequate safeguards for the protection of private communications, encryption, and data storage. The organisation emphasised that such practices violate Section 37 of the Nigerian Constitution and international human rights obligations.

SERAP highlighted that secret surveillance and bulk data collection create significant risks of misuse, profiling, and political manipulation. The organisation noted that mass surveillance measures must comply with legality, necessity, proportionality, and prior judicial authorisation, with clear oversight mechanisms and remedies for affected individuals.

The civil society group warned that if the government fails to act within seven days of the letter’s publication, it would pursue legal action to compel compliance, reiterating that privacy and freedom of expression are essential for free and fair elections and democratic governance.

The call by SERAP adds to growing public debates about data privacy, lawful interception, and accountability in Nigeria. Observers argue that without reform, the regulations could undermine journalistic independence, political participation, and citizens’ trust in digital communication.

SERAP Urges Tinubu to Repeal ‘Unlawful’ Mass Surveillance Regulations

Continue Reading
HostArmada Affordable Cloud SSD Shared Hosting
HostArmada - Affordable Cloud SSD Web Hosting

Trending