Connect with us

metro

Kidnappers abduct seven children from Abuja orphanage

Published

on

Suspected kidnappers have abducted seven children from an orphanage home in the Abaji Area Council of Abuja.

They also abducted a security guard identified as Joseph Mathew, including two housewives, Rukaiyyat Salihu, and Suwaiba Momoh, during the attack on Saturday.

Police sources said the attackers forcefully entered the orphanage and whisked away their victims to an unknown location.

The names of the abducted orphans were given as Elizabeth Andrew, Dayo Udeh, Jacob Ukpas, Melody Ijeh, Benard Itim, Issac Mathew and Laruba Emmanuel.

The police said they had rescued one of the hostages, adding that efforts were being intensified to free others still in captivity.

A resident of the area, Mohammed Nurudeen, who was shot in the thigh, explained that the gunmen abducted his wife at gunpoint and also shot him.

He said, “The men came at midnight while we were sleeping and forced me to open the door threatening to kill us if we refused to obey their orders. They shot me and took away my wife. I appeal to the security agencies and the government to assist in rescuing my wife unhurt from the gang.”

But the Federal Capital Territory police command said it had launched a rescue operation for the kidnappers, assuring that the victims would be released soon.

The police spokesperson, ASP Maryam Yusuf, said on Sunday, “We are working hard to rescue them and apprehend the perpetrators. Already, we have rescued one of the hostages and we want to assure that the rest would also be rescued unhurt.”

metro

Corruption scandal hits code of conduct bureau

Published

on

Chairman, Code of Conduct Bureau (CCB), Mohammed Isah

• As commissioners allege blockage of investigation into N109bn AGF’s loot

Continue Reading

metro

Ex-cop jailed one year after raping, sex-trafficking Lagos teenager

Published

on

A Federal High Court sitting in Lagos has sentenced a retired policeman, Ariwayo Oloyede, aka Oyinbo, to one-year imprisonment for human trafficking.

The ex-police officer was convicted alongside a Burkina Faso-based Nigerian, Christian Owanebi, who was handed seven years jail for the same offence by Justice Abimbola Awogboro.

Justice Awogboro sentenced them after pronouncing them guilty of three counts of conspiracy and human trafficking, preferred against them by the National Agency for the Prohibition of Traffic in Persons.

Delivering judgment on Friday, the judge said the prosecution proved all the charges against the convicts beyond reasonable doubt.

The judge held that the submissions made by the convicts’ counsel were an afterthought.

Justice Awogboro held that the first convict, Owanebi, who had jumped bail, was sentenced to seven years’ imprisonment on all the counts.

The judge, however, sentenced the ex-policeman, whom she said had been attending court consistently without default, to a year imprisonment on each count.

READ ALSO:

She held that the jail terms should run concurrently commencing from Friday, when the judgment was delivered.

The convicts were accused of conspiring with one another to procure a 19-year-old girl, Onyinyechi, for prostitution in Burkina Faso.

The NAPTIP prosecutor, Chinedu  Akaegbu,  told the court that the convicts committed the offences in November 2012.

Onyinyechi, who testified before the court in an emotion-laden voice, narrated how she was lured into prostitution by Oyinbo.

The victim said she was working as a maid in the Ajah area of Lagos when she was approached by Oyinbo, who promised to secure a job for her as a supermarket attendant in Burkina Faso.

She alleged that the suspect charged her N200,000 for her travel expenses and to secure the job for her, but later reduced the charges to N150,000 after she allowed him to have sex with her.

The victim said they embarked on the journey without telling her mother, but when she got to Burkina Faso, the suspect seized her handset, before he handed her over to a woman called Madam Eunice, whom she alleged was a social sex worker.

Onyinyechi said the woman assigned her to a hotel as a prostitute, where she normally resumed by 6pm and closed by midnight.

She alleged that Madam Eunice prepared her for the job by giving her lectures on how to attract customers, saying she slept with an average of 10 to 12 men every day and made 85,000 CFA daily.

“After one week, Owanebi, who lives with his wife in Burkina Faso, told me he was travelling back to Nigeria. He gave me his phone because my phone was seized from me pending the time I would pay the outstanding debt for my travel expenses.

“I asked Owanebi to visit my mother, who lives in Lagos, to give him some money. Owanebi then promised to call me so that I could speak with my mother,” she added.

The victim further narrated that before she left Lagos, the two accused men made her swear to an oath that if she told anyone about it, the god of iron would kill her.

She alleged that they used palm oil, iron rods, red clothes, and a razor to take blood from her hand and mixed them with her hair to make the concoction.

Onyinyechi said the oath-taking was done before an herbalist.

However, the teenager summoned the courage to tell her mother what happened.

Her mother then called the police to arrest Owanebi and his accomplice.

Punch

Continue Reading

metro

Don’t interfere with 2023 census, NLC appeal to pro-Biafra group

Published

on

Nigerian Labour Congress (NLC), Abia State chapter has appealed to Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), not to interfere in the 2023 census to ensure correct census figure for not only Abia State, but the entire South East.

Speaking during the Abia State stakeholders summit on the 2023 population census, in Umuahia at the weekend, NLC chairman in the state, Obi Igwe said he was making the appeal following what happened during the 2006 census when a pro-Biafra group dissuaded the Igbo from coming out to be counted.

Obi who said this contributed to the low population figure ascribed to Abia, pleaded for such not to be allowed to repeat itself.

He promised to mobilise the 45 trade union affiliates of the NLC in the state to come out and be counted during the exercise.

READ ALSO:

Federal Commissioner representing Abia State at the National Population Commission (NPC), Chief Nwabuisi Nwanne said those agitating for Biafra should have no reason to disrupt next year’s census in the state, since it was also in their interest.

“We had a situation in 2006 where a group agitating for Biafra sold a dummy to people in the state not to present themselves to be counted during that year’s census exercise as they were not Nigerians and that impacted negatively on the state population after the exercise as it made Abia to be under-counted.”

Nwanne said the beauty of next year’s exercise was that even if any group was clamouring for a referendum for Biafra, the population the world body would rely on, would be that conducted by Nigeria.

“Even if any group agitating for Biafra is clamouring for a referendum, the population the United Nations will be relying on for such exercise, will be the one conducted by Nigeria and that is why everybody should come out and be counted instead of the other way round.”

Nwanne said to ensure a credible census figure, and for the first time in the history of Nigeria, the Commission was going to do away with paperwork, but will be going digital, anchored on Personal Data Assessment (PDA).

Sun

Continue Reading

Trending