Connect with us

metro

Robbers kill Ibadan socialite in hotel

Published

on

An Ibadan-based socialite, Olaleye Ajibola, popularly called Gatuso, has been killed by suspected armed robbers.

He was attacked on Saturday by at the Town House Hotel, owned by a prominent politician in Oyo State.

It was learnt that Gatuso had arrived at the hotel in company with some friends and ran into the robbers, who were just leaving the premises.

The robbers were said to have successfully completed an operation in the hotel by stealing valuables belonging to employees and guests when they sighted Ajibola making a call. He was gunned down at a close range.

The Police Public Relations Officer, Olugbenga Fadeyi, said, “Teslim Akinpelu, aka Gatuso, was shot dead by four armed men at Town Hotel, NTC, Iyaganku, around 12.45am. The  gunmen pretended to be lodgers before carrying out their evil intention.”

metro

Three arrested for ‘hacking POS platform to steal N16m’ in Oyo

Published

on

The suspects

The Nigeria Police Force (NPF) says it has arrested three suspects over hacking of a Point of Sale (POS) platform to steal N16 million in Oyo state.

Olumuyiwa Adejobi, spokesperson of the Nigeria Police Force (NPF), announced the development in a statement on Tuesday.

The suspects — identified as Sanmi Ayodeji, aged 29; Felix Oluwaseun, aged 24; and Adeleye Oluwaseun, aged 34 — were said to have signed up on a POS platform, known as Tmoni Technologies Company, using their bank verification numbers (BVN) and those of their friends and relatives without their consent.

They reportedly opened valid wallet accounts with Tmoni, bypassed the company’s network security system, and fraudulently transferred N16,149,195 from the Tmoni platform to various online accounts from where they made withdrawals.

READ ALSO:

Adejobi said the suspects were arrested in Ibadan, Oyo state, by operatives of the NPF national cybercrime centre, after a complaint was lodged by the financial controller of the Tmoni platform.

“Upon their arrest, the suspects were found in possession of several mobile phones, POS machines, SIM cards, Automated Teller Machine (ATM) Cards, and one Toyota Matrix car with registration no. KUJ 548 CN which they confessed was bought with proceeds of the crime,” the statement reads.

“The Inspector-General of Police, while calling on users of online banking platforms to be vigilant with regard to their personal information, urges all citizens and residents in the country, as stakeholders in ensuring maximum security, to report all suspicious cyber activities via 09168343711, interpolnigeria@npf.gov.ng or on the NPF Cybercrime Reporting Portal – https://incb.npf.gov.ng/.

“The IGP similarly commended the Director, NPF National Cybercrime Centre, Deputy Commissioner of Police, Uche Ifeanyi Henry, for his diligence and dedication which has led to the breakthroughs recorded so far.

“The suspects will be charged to court as soon as possible.”

Continue Reading

metro

ASUU strike: CONUA threatens to sue FG over unpaid salaries

Published

on

Dr. Niyi Sunmonu, CONUA National President

Congress of University Academics (CONUA) has voiced its displeasure with the Federal Government, particularly the Ministry of Labour and Employment, over the failure to pay the withheld salaries of its members.

The union said its members did not call for any industrial action and were not involved in the strike that shut down the university system nationwide for eight months.

It said it was wrong for the Federal Government to treat its members in the same manner as members of the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) who went on an eight-month strike between February and October 2022.

In the statement by its National President, Secretary, and Publicity Secretary, Drs. Niyi Sunmonu, Henry Oripeloye, and Ernest Nwoke, respectively, CONUA said when it noticed the development, it wrote  to the Accountant-General of the Federation and Ministry of Labour and Employment reminding them that it was an error to lump its members with those that declared and embarked on industrial action.

READ ALSO:

“It was yet another shock for the outstanding backlog of salaries not to have been paid to our members along with the November 2022 salary,” it said.

The union threatened to sue the Federal Government for withholding its members’ salaries.

“CONUA formally made its non-involvement in the strike known to the Federal Government in a letter addressed to the Minister of Labour and Employment, Dr Chris Ngige, in April 2022.

“In the letter, we made it clear that because CONUA constituted a separate and independent union in the university system, our members did not call for any strike. This was followed by a press conference in Abuja on August 19, 2022 at which it was categorically stated that CONUA was not part of any ongoing strike, and that the “no work no pay” principle ought not to apply to members of the union.

“CONUA’s expectation is that, due to the express and categorical declaration, the government would seamlessly release our members’ outstanding salaries when it resumed the payment of salaries to all university staff in October 2022. But to our dismay, CONUA members were also paid pro-rata salaries in complete disregard to the fact that we were indeed shut out of duties by the strike.

“…From the foregoing and as a law-abiding union that pledged to do things differently, we have resolved to seek legal redress of the illegal withholding of our legitimate salaries by taking the matter to court in consonance with the rights enshrined in our laws,” the union said.

Continue Reading

metro

Bandits strike in Abuja, kidnap corps member, 7 others in Kubwa

Published

on

FCT Police Command PRO, DSP Josephine Adeh

Suspected armed bandits late struck at the Arab Road Extension 2 in Kubwa district of the FCT late Tuesday, and abducted a serving Youth Corps member, one Adenike, and seven others while killing one resident.

Sources said that Miss Adenike who is the only daughter of her parents was abducted when the bandit’s stormed some buildings along the Arab road, shooting sporadically and whisking away any resident they could lay their hands on.

Two persons were said to have been hit by the gunshots resulting in one allegedly dying on the spot while the other was rushed to the hospital after the bandits made away with victims abducted.

Sources said the bandits gained entrance into the Arab road extension from a hill which serves as a buffer for residents of the area.

READ ALSO:

“Apart from the Youth Corper, we are looking for seven other resident’s. Nobody can sleep anymore. It was like a war zone the way they were shooting. Luckily two of those kidnapped escaped. That is how we knew seven persons were taken away”, a resident said.

“From Amilomania Street, they moved to Toyin Street, all in Extension 2 Relocation, along Arab Road, in Kubwa” the source said adding that “one of the victims shot dead is a popular tailor in the area,

The source said the bandit’s may have resorted to using the hilly area to gain entrance into the street to avoid the Vigilante who are stationed in the popular entrance of the street, to avoid a fight back.

Efforts to get the FCT Police Command PRO, DSP Josephine Adeh to comment on the development last night proved abortive.

Vanguard

Continue Reading

Trending