Lagos directs schools to reopen Monday Nov 2 - Newstrends
Connect with us

News

Lagos directs schools to reopen Monday Nov 2

Published

on

All Lagos public and private schools shut in the unrest that followed the #EndSARS protest are now to resume full academic activities on Monday November 2, the Lagos State Government has said.

The Lagos State Commissioner for Education, Mrs Folasade Adefisayo, gave the resumption date in a statement on Thursday.

She, however, said that those in the boarding house would be resuming a day earlier, Sunday November 1, 2020.

The statement titled, ‘LASG approves reopening of schools from Monday’, said, “The Lagos State Government has approved the reopening of schools for all classes in public and private schools across the state beginning from Monday, 2nd of November, 2020 while boarders in public schools are to resume on Sunday, 1st of the same month.”

The state government had last Monday announced the closure of all schools in the state ahead of a 24-hour curfew imposed on the people following an indication that the security personnel invited to enforce the stay-at-home order could clash with the protesters.

News

Aggrieved kingmakers plotting against emergence of new Alaafin – Basorun

Published

on

High Chief Yusuf Akinade

Aggrieved kingmakers plotting against emergence of new Alaafin – Basorun

The Prime Minister and Basorun of Oyo, High Chief Yusuf Akinade, has spoken about the controversies surrounding the selection of the new Alaafin and the disagreements between his faction of kingmakers and another group led by the Agbaakin of Oyo, High Chief Asimiyu Atanda.

In an interview with The Punch, Akinade said, “They are the ones who can say whether there’s any disagreement. We are not fighting and I don’t have any disagreement with any one of them because I’m their leader and not their follower. Whatever I’ve done to wrong them, let them come out and tell the public what it is that Basorun has done that is wrong.

“When we commenced the selection process for the new Alaafin, we were all there together. We started the process together and ended the process together. There was no disdain or issues over what we did till we were done. After all our sittings, we all agreed on who was competent to be the new Alaafin and that we would all follow him. We agreed to that in unison and signed to that effect.
“Without any compromise or disdain, without adding or removing from it, the local government chairmen and I went to deliver the name of the selected candidate in a document that was duly signed by all kingmakers to the right person in government – the Commissioner for Local Government and Chieftaincy Matters, Segun Olayiwola. Aside from that, I know nothing about anything hidden or a secret meeting that I can explain. They (the other faction) are the ones with the issues; they are the ones who know who they met and what they did that led to issues about who they want to follow. Wherever I’m headed, I love to always carry everyone along so that they would know my direction and I don’t go back on it.”

READ ALSO:

The Prime Minister and Basorun of Oyo also asked the Agbaakin of Oyo’s factions asked the Governor Seyi Makinde for explanation on why he rejected the candidate that was forwarded to his office last year.

He said, “They should ask the governor to explain to them. How can I know the governor’s mind when nothing was communicated to my office? If they said that a letter was written and it is truthful, I did not set my eyes on anything of such and all correspondence on this issue is meant to be directed to me. When we delivered the document of proclamation to the governor on October 4, 2022, a week later, on October 11, 2022, one of the aspirants filed a suit in court against us stating that the procedure we used in selecting the candidate we chose was not right. At that time, a letter was brought to me and I told them that I did not need any paper since we were being sued and every one of us who was involved was concerned. We got a lawyer to represent us in court.

“However, it is very fortunate that the judgement in court was in favour of the Oyomesi; it favoured Governor Seyi Makinde and also favoured the Attorney General and others whom the suit was filed against. The court stated that the process we followed that produced the candidate we selected and submitted to the governor was right and excellent and it is left for the state governor to make the pronouncement of the person that we have presented to him. Since then, there has been no word, no fights or disagreement up until recently. Since October 4, 2022, when we submitted the name to the state government, it is more than a year or just a few days to a year if I’m not wrong. If they have now come out to say that we are fighting, you should ask them where we had the disagreement or meeting that led to us having different opinions. That is all I know and I’ve not gone to take bribes or take money from anyone behind them. I don’t do that! What they want, they cannot tell the world and I cannot say that. I do not have any disagreement with them and that’s all.”

Aggrieved kingmakers plotting against emergence of new Alaafin – Basorun

Continue Reading

News

BREAKING: Abuja-Lagos Highway Ready In 2027 – FG

Published

on

Minister of Works David Umahi 

The Federal Government has promised that the proposed Abuja-Lagos motorway will be finished in four years.

At a conference on Saturday, Minister of Works David Umahi provided the guarantee.

On the new route, he said that the trip from Lagos to Abuja will take four hours.

He claimed that since concrete is less expensive than asphalt, the entire road would be made with it.

Continue Reading

News

Stay away from Abia, Anambra, Kano, 15 other Nigerian states, US warns citizens 

Published

on

U.S. President Joe Biden

Stay away from Abia, Anambra, Kano, 15 other Nigerian states, US warns citizens 

The United States Department of State has advised Americans to reconsider travelling to Nigeria “due to crime, terrorism, civil unrest, kidnapping, and armed gangs.”

Following its travel advisory update done on Wednesday, the US noted that some areas “have increased risk”.

It advised its citizens against travelling to Borno, Yobe, Kogi, and northern Adamawa states due to terrorism and kidnapping; Bauchi, Gombe, Kaduna, Kano, Katsina, Sokoto, and Zamfara states due to kidnapping; Abia, Anambra, Bayelsa, Delta, Enugu, Imo, and Rivers states (with the exception of Port Harcourt) due to crime, kidnapping, and armed gangs.

It further noted that “violent crime – such as armed robbery, assault, carjacking, kidnapping, hostage taking, roadside banditry, and rape – is common throughout the country.”

It said: “Kidnappings for ransom occur frequently, often targeting dual national citizens who have returned to Nigeria for a visit, as well as U.S. citizens with perceived wealth. Kidnapping gangs have also stopped victims on interstate roads.

“Terrorists continue plotting and carrying out attacks in Nigeria. Terrorists may attack with little or no warning, targeting shopping centers, malls, markets, hotels, places of worship, restaurants, bars, schools, government installations, transportation hubs, and other places where crowds gather.

READ ALSO:

“Terrorists are known to work with local gangs to expand their reach.

“There are civil unrest and armed gangs in parts of Southern Nigeria, especially in the Niger Delta and Southeast regions. Armed criminality and gangs, including kidnapping and assaults on Nigerian security services, are also pervasive in this region.

“Violence can flare up between communities of farmers and herders in rural areas.

“The U.S. government has limited ability to provide emergency services to U.S. citizens in many areas of Nigeria due to security conditions.”

It, however, advised citizens who still choose to travel to Nigeria to: “Carry proper identification, including a U.S. passport with a current Nigerian visa, if needed.

“Use caution when walking or driving at night; keep a low profile; Review travel routes and times to vary your predictability; Do not physically resist any robbery attempt; Be extra vigilant when visiting banks or ATMs.

“Monitor local media for breaking events and be prepared to adjust your plans; Be aware of your surroundings; Stay alert in locations frequented by Westerners; Avoid demonstrations and large political gatherings; Review your personal security plans.

“Have evacuation plans that do not rely on U.S. government assistance. Establish a “proof of life” protocol with your loved ones, so that if you are taken hostage, your loved ones know specific questions (and answers) to ask the hostage-takers to be sure that you are alive (and to rule out a hoax).”

Regarding Borno, Yobe, Kogi, and Northern Adamawa states, the US insisted that the security situation in the states was “fluid and unpredictable due to widespread terrorist activity, inter-communal violence, and kidnapping. Security operations to counter these threats may occur without warning.”

It said, “Terrorist groups based in the Northeast routinely target humanitarian camps, security forces, churches, schools, mosques, government installations, educational institutions, entertainment venues, and road .

As for Abia, Anambra, Bayelsa, Delta, Enugu, Imo, and Rivers states (with the exception of Port Harcourt), the US said crime “is rampant throughout Southern Nigeria, and there is a heightened risk of kidnapping, violent civil unrest, and armed gangs.”

Stay away from Abia, Anambra, Kano, 15 other Nigerian states, US warns citizens

Continue Reading

Trending

Skip to content