Suspected Boko Haram insurgents abduct judge, wife, others in Borno – Newstrends
Connect with us

metro

Suspected Boko Haram insurgents abduct judge, wife, others in Borno

Published

on

Police Public Relations Officer in Borno, ASP Kenneth Daso

Suspected Boko Haram insurgents abduct judge, wife, others in Borno

On Monday afternoon, suspected Boko Haram terrorists abducted Justice Haruna Mshelia, a High Court judge, along with his wife, driver, and orderly on the Damaturu-Kamiya-Buratai-Buni-Gari Road in Borno State.

Justice Mshelia was returning to Maiduguri, where he serves at the Borno State High Court, when the incident occurred.

Sources indicate that armed men intercepted the judge’s vehicle by emerging from the bush and blocking the road. Despite an attempt to escape, the vehicle was stopped by another group of insurgents. The abductees were then taken into the notorious Sambisa Forest, a known Boko Haram stronghold.

This route is the sole connection between southern Borno and other parts of the state, making it a vulnerable target for such attacks.

READ ALSO:

Unfortunately, incidents like this are all too common in the region. Recently, a Boko Haram ambush on military vehicles resulted in the death of a lieutenant and injuries to other soldiers.

The Borno State Police Command has confirmed the abduction. ASP Nahum Daso, the state’s police spokesman, reported receiving information about the incident from Sani Audu through the Divisional Officer of Biu.

Despite no contact with the terrorists yet, police are implementing all necessary security measures to ensure the safe rescue of Justice Mshelia, his wife, driver, and orderly.

The community remains on edge as security forces intensify efforts to combat the persistent threat posed by Boko Haram in the region.

Suspected Boko Haram insurgents abduct judge, wife, others in Borno

metro

Lagos taskforce arrests 40 street traders for causing traffic, pollution

Published

on

Lagos taskforce arrests 40 street traders for causing traffic, pollution

The Lagos State Taskforce on Environment and Special Offences, Enforcement Unit has said it arrested 40 persons for allegedly trading on the street at night and causing heavy traffic in Ikeja.

This was disclosed by the agency’s Spokesperson, Mr Gbadeyan Abdulraheem on Tuesday.

Abdulraheem said that the suspects had been operating illegal night street trading and restaurant at Alade Avenue, Orishe and Johnson Streets, all off Obafemi Awolowo Way in Ikeja.

“They have converted streets to mini- markets and restaurants, thereby causing serious human/vehicular traffic obstructions and serious environmental pollution along those routes and adjoining streets,” NAN quoted him as saying.

The spokesperson said that the two-day night raid led by the agency’s Chairman, CSP Adetayo Akerele, was carried out when the traders erected makeshift shops and placed barricades on parts of the road, causing traffic impediments.

READ ALSO:

Abdulraheem noted that the suspects also flouted the state’s laid down environmental laws through indiscriminate disposal of waste and solid materials into the gutters in the area.

He said: “The raid will be a continuous exercise as a step made in the interest of the citizenry who have longed for solutions to the menace of street trading.

“Some of these locations serve as safe haven for suspected criminals and they enjoy the proceeds of their criminal activities there.

“The flooding experienced in some parts of the state is also as a result of improper disposal of waste that end up clogging the drainage channels.

“They also sell drugs indiscriminately there, which is counter-productive to the society,” he further said.

The spokesperson appealed to other recalcitrant street traders and vendors to relocate their stores to designated outlets designed for trading and vacate the streets and inner roads.

Lagos taskforce arrests 40 street traders for causing traffic, pollution

Continue Reading

metro

BREAKING: We won’t condone violent protests, IGP warns

Published

on

Inspector-General of Police Kayode Egbetokun

BREAKING: We won’t condone violent protests, IGP warns

The Inspector-General of Police, Kayode Egbetokun, issued a stern warning on Tuesday against any attempts to incite violence under the pretext of emulating the recent protests in Kenya.

The Kenyan protests, which took place last month, were sparked by a series of policies perceived as being against the interests of the common people.

The protests, led by young Kenyans, targeted strategic locations, including the parliament, and resulted in significant reforms, including a cabinet reshuffle.

The success of the protests may have inspired some groups in Nigeria to mobilize for similar demonstrations under the banner #EndBadGovernance.

However, the Inspector-General of Police is cautioning against any attempts to replicate the Kenyan protests in a way that could lead to violence or unrest.

The police chief’s warning comes amid reports of plans by some groups to organize protests against perceived bad governance.

While the right to protest is guaranteed by law, the Inspector-General of Police stressed the need for any demonstrations to be peaceful and orderly, to avoid causing harm to people or property.

But speaking at the Force Headquarters in Abuja during a strategic meeting with top police officers from the rank of Commissioners of Police, Assistant Inspector-General of Police (AIG) and the Deputy Inspector-General of Police (DIG), on Tuesday, Egbetokun advised those planning the protest to jettison the idea, saying the police would not fold their arms watching them engaging in violence.

The police boss said the force’s decision was based on what happened during the last #EndSARS protest nationwide, insisting that the police, particularly has not been relieved of the trauma they passed through.

The top cop said, “Our position is that the proposed violent protests are ill-advised and should be jettisoned fortuitously. We have the responsibility to protect properties and everyone, irrespective of their race, colour, ethnicity, or tribe, who are lawfully embarking on their daily activities.

READ ALSO:

“We will, therefore, not sit back and fold our arms to watch violent activities unleash violence on our peaceful communities or destroy any of our national critical infrastructure and assets again.”

According to him, the police have run background checks on many of the organisers and sponsors of the protest, it was found out that many of them are not living in Nigeria, and that they are only out to instigate crisis in the country.

He added, “Before concluding this address, it is important I address an issue of urgent national importance which appears to have gained some momentum, particularly on social media, in the past few weeks.

“Some groups of people, self-appointed crusaders and influencers, have been strategising and mobilizing potential protesters to unleash terror in the land under the guise of replicating the recent Kenya protests.

“While the force acknowledges the right to peaceful protest as enshrined in our constitution, we must ensure that these protests do not snowball into violence or disorder.

“As a nation, we have had more than our fair share of violent protests, with rather dastardly consequences. The last #EndSARS protest led to one-tenth destruction of public assets, including police stations, courts, and transport infrastructure, and the loss of several lives.

“Tales of sorrow, tears, and blood followed what was supposedly intended to be a well-intentioned exercise. Rather than lead to any positive outcome, EndSars merely aggravated crime rates and insecurity in several parts of the country.

“Indeed, we are yet to fully recover from the huge economic losses and deep-seated psychological and emotional trauma inflicted upon our people by these protests.”

Fielding questions from journalists, Egbetokun also said that measures are in place to ensure that any hoodlums attempting to disguise themselves as protesters will be apprehended.

He stated, “We have mapped out plans to ensure that no individual or group succeeds in fostering a reign of terror and anarchy on other law-abiding and dissolving Nigerians.

“Consequently, I want to seize this opportunity to sound the note of serious warning to hoodlums who may want to take laws into their own hands in the name of protests. Do not worry.”

BREAKING: We won’t condone violent protests, IGP warns

Continue Reading

metro

Police arrest doctor in Osun for raping job seeker

Published

on

Police arrest doctor in Osun for raping job seeker

The Osun State Police Command has verified the arrest of Olayode Akangbe Shakiru, a medical doctor, for allegedly assaulting and raping a teenage girl looking for a job. 

Yemisi Opalola, the Command’s Spokesperson, confirmed the arrest and stated that the police were conducting an investigation.

She revealed that the suspect, Shakiru, was arrested on Thursday by a team of police officers from the Oke-Baale Police Division in Osogbo after the 18-year-old girl’s family reported the incident.

“On Thursday, he was arrested by the police along the road while returning to Osogbo from Ipetumodu along Ile-Ife road,” the PPRO said.

Opalola stated that the medical doctor had been handed to the State Criminal Investigation Department for further investigation.

According to the Daily Post, Shakiru approached the victim (name withheld) while strolling down the street in Osogbo and offered her a ride to her destination.

Before letting her off in Osogbo’s Oke-Fia Area, the medical practitioner took her phone number and offered to find her a job so she could fund her education.

READ ALSO:

The rape, according to the aforementioned publication took place inside the suspect’s house in Osogbo’s Ilesa Garage neighbourhood, where the youngster had gone to sign the alleged job form.

Narrating her trauma, the girl stated that she moved from her home in the Osunjela community to Osogbo to look for work, and while walking the streets, she encountered Dr Shakiru, who offered to help her.

The adolescent stated that following the incident, she went to her older sister and told her about her ordeals. After that, “she accompanied me to the Oke-Baale Police Station in Osogbo, where we reported the rape.”

Meanwhile, a text message sent by the medical practitioner to the victim via WhatsApp, informing her of his plan to arrange employment for her, has been collected as evidence in the case.

An elder brother of the victim, who did not want to be named, stated that the girl could not locate the residence when the police took her there to arrest the suspect.

“We took the Police to Atoke Hospital, Igbona Area where he claimed to be working. The nurses at the hospital said he is a ‘listed doctor’ as he comes once a while to attend to patients,” he added.

Police arrest doctor in Osun for raping job seeker

Continue Reading

Trending