metro
The intriguing power play behind Obasa’s resurrection
The intriguing power play behind Obasa’s resurrection
32 distraught and disgruntled lawmakers of the Lagos State House of Assembly may never have envisaged that Mudashairu Obasa whom they removed on the 13th day of January, 2025, would ever make a comeback. If the 13th January event was a burial for Obasa, his reinstatement on the 3rd of March was a resurrection; a triumphal re-entry.
When his “sins” were recounted by his colleagues and keen watchers of the events at the Assembly, it was easy to think that the political grave of Obasa had been dug, his tombstone constructed and a conspicuous epitaph etched on it.
The said sins included his alleged disrespect for Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu and Deputy Governor Obafemi Hamzat; his alleged allocation of N17 billion to construct a special gate; the alleged spending of N200 million being spent on a thanksgiving event that never took place; the alleged move by him to abrogate the 37 Local Council Development Areas, and general high-handedness.
Although Obasa claimed his removal did not follow the laid down rules, his embattled colleagues told him to tell that to the marines while insisting on their support for Mojisola Meranda the former Deputy Speaker whom they had elected to replace him.
But signs that some of the gods that control Lagos politics, were uncomfortable with the development, emerged when a member of the Governance Advisory Council (GAC), Anthony Adefuye, in an interview, sided with Obasa. Adefuye had said, “What he’s (Obasa is ) saying is that he was illegally removed and the procedure was faulty and I agree with him.”
However, there were others who seemed to have favoured the actions of the lawmakers who removed Obasa. Musiliu Obanikoro, a former federal minister and also a member of the GAC, took Adefuye up on his comment.
READ ALSO:
- Ghanaian MPs reintroduce controversial anti-LGBT bill
- Hisbah arrests Muslims for eating, selling food during Ramadan fasting hours
- FG reveals reason for delay in direct payment of allocations to LGs
He said, “The statement of Senator Adefuye on the removal of the former Speaker, Mudashiru Obasa, is very unfortunate, childish and inconsequential.”
“Senator Adefuye’s comment shouldn’t have come up. As leaders, if there are serious issues of this magnitude, rushing to make press statements or personal statements on such issues is unbecoming.”
While powerful stakeholders understood the reasons for Obasa’s removal, they were uncomfortable that there were no “proper consultations” before his colleagues ousted him.
President Bola Tinubu, it was learnt, was particularly miffed over the development. Although some of the excesses of Obasa had been reported to him by some political bigwigs in Lagos, he was caught off-guard over his removal. While it is true that he had reportedly reprimanded Obasa for his alleged dishonour of Sanwo-Olu, he did not expect that his political godson would be so disgraced out of the office.
As Obasa took to going to court to invalidate his removal, a high powered committee was set up by Tinubu to resolve the crisis. The committee which was led by former Osun State Governor and ex-National Chairman of the All Progressives Congress, Bisi Akande, had former Ogun State Governor, Olusegun Osoba, former APC National Vice Chairman, South-West, Pius Akinyelure, and others as members.
While Tinubu reportedly wanted Obasa back, majority of the Lagos lawmakers stood their ground, vowing there was no going back on their decision. However, they could not sustain their position as they bowed to the wish of the President and other political strongmen who wanted a return to the status quo.
At the plenary which held on Monday March 3rd, Meranda and her deputy, Mojeed Fatai resigned their positions, and were thereafter elected Deputy Speaker and Chief Whip respectively. This paved the way for Obasa to be nominated and re-reinstated as the Speaker.
READ ALSO:
- Driver, motor boy burnt to death as fire consumes petrol station in Ibadan
- How to practise healthy Ramadan fast — Experts
- NNPC Ltd reduces price of petrol to N860 per litre
While giving her resignation speech, Meranda in an emotion-laden voice, said she was leaving her position as a personal sacrifice “towards resolving the leadership crisis rocking the Lagos State House of Assembly.”
She said, “I took this decision carefully and with firm consideration. On one hand, I accepted the position of Speaker on January 13, 2025, and on the other hand, I resigned the position as it is threatening the democracy of this House.
“As good people of Lagos, our mandate is to protect the good people of Lagos State and ensure good governance.
“I feel that I have demonstrated leadership and selfless sacrifice by resigning in order to protect these resources that we have suffered to build. With your unwavering support, I take this step to step down as the Speaker of the House of Assembly.
“I cherish the solidarity that I have enjoyed and that has been given to me by my honorable members. I do not leave out the management and staff of the Lagos State House of Assembly. I want to thank you for your support and collaboration.
“As short as it is, this is a memorable event. I need you to permit me to resign as the Rt. Honorable Speaker, and I shall continue to serve my good people of Apapa Constituency 1 in particular and the entire Lagos State in general.
“Thank you for finding me worthy to lead this distinguished and honourable Assembly. I am not a quitter; however, I took this bold decision in order to save this legislative institution from further unnecessary conflict and embarrassment.
“Accordingly, I have agreed to yet again make a personal sacrifice by stepping down as the Speaker of this great Assembly.
“Dear distinguished and gallant honourable members of this 10th Assembly, occasionally, we are confronted by overwhelming challenges and conflicts, but as responsible leaders, we must not break down the legislative House that we collectively built in pursuit of justice and fairness.
“For those who have been unfairly referred to for standing on the side of fair play, kindly take note that there will always be an opportunity to right any wrong.
“I appreciate the spectrum of solidarity that I received through phone calls, messages, and visits throughout my short tenure.
“I sincerely thank you for your understanding and support, just as we know that party decisions are supreme.
“At this point, I take a bow as your Speaker, and I step down as your Speaker for this great House.”
Obasa on his own part after he had been sworn-in again, said it was not time for speech making but appreciated “our colleagues who have put a lot into this gathering today” as well as party leaders who played a role at resolving the crisis.
The intriguing power play behind Obasa’s resurrection
Source: PM News
metro
Peller Escapes Generator Fire at Lagos Home, Recalls Earlier Lekki–Epe Scare
Peller Escapes Generator Fire at Lagos Home, Recalls Earlier Lekki–Epe Scare
Nigerian TikTok sensation and streamer, Habeeb Hamzat, popularly known as Peller, has narrowly escaped injury following a generator fire incident at his residence.
The social media influencer disclosed the incident on Saturday via his verified Instagram page, where he shared a video capturing the early-morning blaze. In the footage, flames could be seen engulfing his generator as Peller, visibly shaken, cried out for help while neighbors and occupants rushed to contain the fire.
After sustained efforts using buckets of water, the fire was eventually brought under control. The generator was completely destroyed, but the building itself and everyone inside the house were spared, preventing what could have escalated into a major tragedy.
Shortly after the incident, fans and followers flooded his comment section with messages of relief and gratitude, praising the swift response that prevented loss of life or further property damage. The video also circulated widely across other social media platforms, where viewers raised concerns about generator safety, ventilation, and fire preparedness in residential areas.
READ ALSO:
- Abuja Church Expels Newly Married Woman Over Refusal to Consummate Marriage
- Pastor Sentenced to Death by Hanging for Murdering Landlord in Akwa Ibom
- Scientists Warn Popular Hair Extensions Contain Cancer‑Linked Chemicals
As of the time of filing this report, the exact cause of the fire had not been independently confirmed, though preliminary reactions online speculated about possible fuel-related or electrical issues.
Earlier Lekki–Epe Expressway Incident
The generator fire comes months after Peller survived a separate and highly publicized scare along the Lekki–Epe Expressway.
During that earlier episode, which unfolded during a widely shared livestream, the influencer was seen driving while emotionally distressed. The broadcast, titled “RIP Peller,” sparked widespread concern after he made a series of alarming remarks that unsettled viewers.
At the time, Peller appeared agitated during a phone conversation believed to involve his girlfriend, amid online speculation about personal relationship challenges. The livestream ended abruptly after the vehicle was involved in a crash, though Peller later confirmed he survived the incident.
The back-to-back scares have renewed conversations among fans and industry observers about mental health awareness, content moderation during livestreams, and personal safety, particularly for young influencers who share real-time experiences with large audiences.
Despite the incidents, Peller has continued to engage his followers and has expressed appreciation for the overwhelming support he has received.
Peller Escapes Generator Fire at Lagos Home, Recalls Earlier Lekki–Epe Scare
metro
Abuja Church Expels Newly Married Woman Over Refusal to Consummate Marriage
Abuja Church Expels Newly Married Woman Over Refusal to Consummate Marriage
An Abuja-based church has expelled a newly married woman, Oyiza, after she allegedly refused to consummate her marriage with her husband, Isaac—an action that has sparked widespread debate over marital consent, religious authority, and women’s rights in Nigeria.
The couple, who were living in Ibadan, got married on September 6, 2025, following the completion of their traditional marriage rites in Okene and a court wedding in Ibadan. Oyiza is originally from Kogi State.
According to accounts presented by the husband and church officials, marital tensions began shortly after the wedding, with Oyiza reportedly declining all attempts at intimacy. She allegedly told her husband she did not love him and later accused her mother of pressuring her into the marriage.
Family members and church leaders reportedly intervened multiple times over several months in an attempt to resolve the matter. Despite repeated marriage counselling sessions, the woman was said to have maintained her position, insisting she was emotionally unprepared for the union.
Isaac claimed that prior to the wedding, Oyiza had expressed doubts about proceeding with the marriage but later reassured him and the church’s marriage committee that she was ready, leading to approval of the wedding plans.
Photos from the ceremony, later circulated on social media, showed Oyiza appearing cheerful among friends and church members. However, Isaac said the marriage quickly deteriorated after the wedding, describing the relationship as emotionally exhausting and restrictive.
READ ALSO:
- Pastor Sentenced to Death by Hanging for Murdering Landlord in Akwa Ibom
- Scientists Warn Popular Hair Extensions Contain Cancer‑Linked Chemicals
- Keyamo Defends APC Amid Public Debate, Says Party ‘Not Made Up of Saints’
In February 2026, the controversy escalated after the church released a video on its YouTube channel announcing Oyiza’s expulsion and excommunication. The church’s International Director stated that five months of mediation had failed.
During the announcement, the cleric used strong and controversial language, accusing Oyiza of spiritual misconduct and urging members to pray against her, claiming she had disgraced the church. He also referenced traditional cultural practices, suggesting that emotional readiness should not prevent marital obligations—remarks that triggered intense backlash online.
The cleric further claimed that his wife received a spiritual revelation alleging that Oyiza was under a supernatural covenant preventing marital relations. These claims were made publicly but remain unverified.
Oyiza was not present during the announcement, and efforts to obtain her response have been unsuccessful.
The incident has since generated nationwide reactions, with many Nigerians, legal commentators, and rights advocates arguing that consent within marriage is non-negotiable and that religious institutions should not compel intimacy or publicly shame individuals over private marital disputes.
The case has reignited conversations around:
- Forced marriage and family pressure
- Consent and bodily autonomy
- Limits of church authority in private relationships
- Mental health and dignity of women
As of the time of reporting, the church has not released any further statement addressing the public criticism.
Abuja Church Expels Newly Married Woman Over Refusal to Consummate Marriage
metro
Pastor Sentenced to Death by Hanging for Murdering Landlord in Akwa Ibom
Pastor Sentenced to Death by Hanging for Murdering Landlord in Akwa Ibom
Prince Emmanuel Umoh, the resident pastor of Living Faith Church Chapel, Ifa Ikot Ubo–Ifa Ikot Okpon Branch in Uyo, Akwa Ibom State, has been sentenced to death by hanging for the murder of his landlord, Gabriel Bassey, a 500‑level civil engineering student at the University of Uyo.
Umoh was found guilty by Justice Gabriel Ette of the Akwa Ibom State High Court after evidence showed he fatally stabbed Bassey on December 21, 2020, inside the estate in Ifa Ikot Ubo, a community in Uyo Local Government Area. The judgment was delivered following a trial that lasted more than five years.
The prosecution established that Bassey had moved into his late mother’s property in Ifa Ikot Ubo to secure the family estate and be closer to school. The property previously housed a nursery school his mother built before her death in December 2019.
Court records show that part of the estate — a hall connected to a two‑bedroom apartment occupied by Bassey and his younger brother, Emmanuel Bassey — was leased to Living Faith Church for worship and community use at an annual rent of ₦150,000, with permission from Bassey’s father, Emana Bassey, a retired principal. The church began using the hall before the full rent was paid.
Umoh, who was later appointed the chapel’s first resident pastor, was given a spare key to the deceased’s apartment to allow access to church property stored inside. Evidence presented in court revealed that after this arrangement, personal items belonging to the deceased’s late mother — including clothing, dishes and valuables — began to go missing.
READ ALSO:
- Scientists Warn Popular Hair Extensions Contain Cancer‑Linked Chemicals
- Keyamo Defends APC Amid Public Debate, Says Party ‘Not Made Up of Saints’
- Lagos Police Arrest Officers After Fatal Alagbado Shooting Amid Public Outcry
The father, Mr. Emana Bassey, testified that he initially approved the spare key arrangement. However, when items started disappearing, he instructed his son to return the key. The defendant claimed he had lost the key, prompting concerns over security. The church’s senior pastor, Owoidoho Akpan, who testified for the defence, gave the Bassey family ₦5,000 to replace the locks. After the locks were changed, no further items were reported missing, the court heard.
Additional tensions arose between Umoh and Bassey over the use of rent funds supposedly meant for hall renovations, with disagreements escalating in the weeks leading up to the murder.
On the day of the incident, neighbours observed Umoh entering the premises shortly before cries of “Jesus” were heard. Minutes later, he was seen wearing a blood‑stained white garment, claiming he had fallen while fixing a banner. Bassey was not seen alive again.
Five days later, on December 26, 2020, Bassey’s decomposing body was found in his room, wrapped in a mat with multiple stab wounds and a butcher’s knife beside him. Forensic evidence and witness testimony linked Umoh to the crime, with bloodstains on his clothing and the fact that he was the last person seen with the deceased.
Umoh was arraigned on December 6, 2021, on a single count of murder. He pleaded not guilty, and the prosecution called six witnesses, including members of the Bassey family and church officials, to support its case.
In his lengthy judgment, Justice Ette described the crime as deeply troubling and a betrayal of trust, particularly because it was committed by a religious leader on church grounds.
“Life is sacred, and those who represent God on earth should teach that. It is an irony and quite appalling when a man who claims to be the representative of the divine on earth stoops so low as to denigrate the very essence of his calling and take someone’s life on the premises of the church,” the judge said.
He added that individuals who violate public trust in this way threaten society and must be punished in accordance with the law.
Having found the defendant guilty beyond reasonable doubt, the court pronounced sentence:
“I hereby sentence you to death by hanging.”
The conviction brings to an end nearly six years of legal proceedings and underscores the rule of law in Akwa Ibom State, even when the accused holds a position of religious leadership.
Pastor Sentenced to Death by Hanging for Murdering Landlord in Akwa Ibom
-
Politics1 day agoPeter Obi Launches ‘Village Boys Movement’ to Rival Tinubu’s City Boys Ahead of 2027
-
International2 days agoCanada Opens New Express Entry Draw for Nigerian Workers, Others
-
News2 days agoPolice to Arrest TikToker Mirabel After She Recants False Rape Claim
-
International2 days agoEpstein, Ex-Israeli PM Named in Alleged Profiteering From Boko Haram Crisis
-
metro2 days agoOsun Awards 55.6km Iwo–Osogbo–Ibadan Road Project to Three Contractors
-
Politics2 days agoUpdated: Rivers Senator Mpigi Barinada dies at 64
-
metro2 days agoOndo Monarch Killed as Bandits Strike Akure North
-
Education1 day agoOgun Gov Rewards Nigeria’s Best Primary School Teacher with Car, Bungalow


