Education
Old Boys institute N100m endowment fund for Edo Catholic college
The Annunciation Catholic College Irrua Old Boys Association (ACCIOBA) has instituted a N100 million endowment fund and completed other infrastructure to support the redevelopment of their alma mater, the Annunciation Catholic College (ACC), Irrua, Edo State.
The unveiling of the various completed and ongoing projects coincided with the school’s maiden Nine Lessons and Christmas Carols festival, which also featured the award of cash and scholarships to deserving students of the school founded in 1955.
At the event, ACCIOBA announced the institution of a N100 million scholarship endowment fund and reported that N70 million had already been raised as part of the fund. It unveiled a fully completed six-bedroom Corpers’ Lodge, a 500-capacity College Auditorium, and a 20-bed ultra-modern medical centre which is now in its completion stages.
Other projects showcased at the event included a perimeter fence constructed around the school for adequate security, a statue of the founder of the school, Rev. Fr. Anselm Ojefua, a school gate house, installed solar power, and a tarred thoroughfare from the gate to the principal’s office.
The old boys of ACC Irrua who are top professionals worldwide, also supported the school by employing 10 highly qualified teachers, furnishing staff rooms and classrooms, supplying several boxes of text and exercise books, and providing six (6) lawn mowers to maintain the school’s vast compound.
As part of the event, ACCIOBA distributed bags of rice and beans worth N2.2 million to teachers and staff as incentives to encourage good teaching and learning.
Global President of ACCIOBA, Sir Pascal Isele, represented by Mr. David Akhuemokhan, read the first lesson during the Carol festival while the second lesson, was read by Prof. Mathew Ighalo, represented by Mr. Mike Akhimien.
In their messages at the event delivered via Zoom, the Global President, Sir. Paschal Isele, Keynote Speaker, Dr. Peter Okojie of the North American branch, Engr. Joseph Akhigbe, and Dr. Joseph Ohens (President, ACCIOBA North America), were excited that the school was regaining its lost glory and called on the students to be committed to their studies and avoid acts capable of mortgaging their future.
The Chief Inspector of Education, Esan Central, Mrs. Irene Uyigue and the Principal of the school, Dr. Peter Aikore assisted the Global Secretary, Dr. Ayemhenre Esekheigbe, to hand over awards to Aiwodogbo Wisdom and Odili Joseph for emerging overall bests in Junior and Senior secondary classes, respectively.
President of ACCIOBA North America, Dr. Joseph Ohens, in an interview, said an architectural plan for the construction of an ultra-modern hostel complex was ready and awaiting the state government’s approval.
“We are very lucky to have a governor, His Excellency, Godwin Obaseki, and a commissioner for education, Honourable Joan Oviawe, who have both indicated their willingness to partner with alumni associations in better managing secondary schools in Edo State. We are committed to exploring possibilities with the state government,” he said.
Education
Reasons Behind UniAbuja’s Expulsion of 28 Students, Withdrawal of 15 Certificates
Reasons Behind UniAbuja’s Expulsion of 28 Students, Withdrawal of 15 Certificates
The University of Abuja (UniAbuja), now renamed Yakubu Gowon University, has expelled 28 students and revoked certificates of 15 graduates following findings of serious academic and disciplinary violations.
The decision was made at the 191st Regular Meeting of the University Senate held on Thursday, January 28, 2026, after reviewing reports and recommendations from the Student Disciplinary Committee (SDC).
Reasons for Expulsion and Certificate Withdrawal
According to a statement signed by Dr. Habib Yakoob, Acting Director of Information and University Relations, the students were found guilty of offences including threats to life, physical assault, examination malpractice, conspiracy, burglary, theft, cult-related activities, possession and use of hard drugs, and falsification of O’Level results submitted during admission. Some students also failed to appear before the committee despite repeated invitations.
The 15 graduates had their certificates withdrawn for similar non-compliance, rendering their credentials null and void. Meanwhile, nine students were cleared after investigations, and 33 others received formal warnings for infractions including conspiracy, hostel racketeering, and fighting.
READ ALSO:
- Yoruba Muslim Group Dismisses Viral Ramadan Date Claim, Reaffirms Sultan of Sokoto’s Authority
- FCT Council polls: APC Wins Four Chairmanship Seats as PDP Takes Gwagwalada
- Dangote Opens Refinery Investment to Nigerians With Public Share Sale Plans
University’s Commitment to Discipline
The Vice-Chancellor and Chairman of Senate, Professor Hakeem Babatunde Fawehinmi, reaffirmed the university’s dedication to maintaining a safe, disciplined, and conducive learning environment. He emphasised that academic integrity is a core principle and that violations would be sanctioned without compromise.
Professor Fawehinmi praised the SDC for its thorough and diligent handling of cases and urged students to conduct themselves responsibly to safeguard their academic futures. He also highlighted ongoing university initiatives, including student engagement, counselling, and orientation programmes, aimed at preventing misconduct and promoting responsible citizenship and academic excellence.
The university described the actions as part of a zero-tolerance approach to misconduct, reinforcing its commitment to upholding high moral and academic standards on campus.
Reasons Behind UniAbuja’s Expulsion of 28 Students, Withdrawal of 15 Certificates
Education
UTME: JAMB Clarifies Position on Hijab During Biometric Capture
UTME: JAMB Clarifies Position on Hijab During Biometric Capture
The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) has clarified that candidates are not required to remove their hijab during the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) registration process.
The examination body issued the clarification following the circulation of a viral video alleging that a Muslim candidate was compelled to remove her hijab before capturing her biometric photograph at a registration centre.
In a statement addressing the controversy, JAMB dismissed claims of a policy prohibiting the use of hijab, describing such reports as misleading. The board reiterated that it respects candidates’ religious rights and does not mandate the removal of religious head coverings during registration.
READ ALSO:
- ₦13.7bn Payroll Fraud Claim Pits Audit Firm Against Osun Government
- Breaking: INEC Declares APC’s Joshua Ishaku Winner of Bwari Chairmanship Election
- FCT Poll: APC’s Maikalangu Wins AMAC Chairmanship as Collation Continues
However, JAMB explained that during biometric data capture, candidates may be asked to adjust their head coverings slightly to ensure that key facial features are visible for proper identification. According to the board, this requirement is strictly for technical purposes and aligns with standard identification procedures used in official documentation processes.
The board emphasized that the adjustment does not equate to a ban on hijabs, noting that clear visibility of facial features is necessary to meet biometric verification standards and prevent identity-related issues.
JAMB urged the public to disregard misinformation and advised candidates and parents to seek clarification through official communication channels to avoid unnecessary panic.
The clarification comes amid growing public interest in ensuring that examination procedures remain inclusive while maintaining the integrity of the registration and identification process.
UTME: JAMB Clarifies Position on Hijab During Biometric Capture
Education
Ogun Gov Rewards Nigeria’s Best Primary School Teacher with Car, Bungalow
Ogun Gov Rewards Nigeria’s Best Primary School Teacher with Car, Bungalow

Ogun Gov Rewards Nigeria’s Best Primary School Teacher Solanke Francis Taiwo with Car and Bungalow
The Ogun State Governor, Dapo Abiodun, has honoured Mr Solanke Francis Taiwo, a primary school teacher at Ansa‑Ur‑Deen Main School I, Kemta Lawa, Abeokuta, with a brand new car and a two‑bedroom bungalow in recognition of his achievement as Nigeria’s Overall Best Primary School Teacher for the 2025/2026 academic year.
The presentation took place at the Governor’s Office in Oke‑Mosan, Abeokuta, with the Commissioner for Education, Science and Technology, Prof Abayomi Arigbagbu, and the ministry’s Permanent Secretary, Mr Oloko, in attendance. The gifts were part of a broader effort to motivate teachers, reward professional excellence, and highlight the state’s education reforms.
Speaking at the event, Prof Arigbagbu said the award demonstrates the effectiveness of the Ogun State Education Revitalisation Agenda, which is built on six pillars including curriculum enhancement, school administration, innovation, infrastructure, funding, and teachers’ welfare. “When you do things consistently and efficiently, you record results. This same teacher won the Ogun State Best Teacher Award in October before clinching the national award in Abuja. This confirms that our education sector has been truly revitalised,” he said.
READ ALSO:
- Police Bust Gang Armoury, Arrest Two Suspects in Delta
- Peter Obi Launches ‘Village Boys Movement’ to Rival Tinubu’s City Boys Ahead of 2027
- Woman Dies in Bandits’ Camp After Family Pays ₦25 Million Ransom

Ogun Gov Rewards Nigeria’s Best Primary School Teacher Solanke Francis Taiwo with Car and Bungalow
He highlighted the state’s successes in national competitions, including the JETS contests, where Ogun students won 18 out of 24 awards in one year, with a single student claiming nine prizes. The commissioner also noted that Ogun’s Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET) model and education digitisation initiatives have attracted attention from other states and received commendation from the Federal Government and the National Board for Technical Education.
Governor Abiodun reaffirmed his commitment to teacher development, pledging continuous support through workshops, seminars, digital learning platforms, and AI-powered instructional tools. He said the gifts of a car and bungalow are intended to inspire other educators to strive for excellence and innovation in their teaching.
In his remarks, Mr Solanke expressed gratitude to the governor and the education ministry for fostering an enabling environment for teaching and learning. He vowed to continue improving student learning outcomes and collaborating with colleagues to ensure that Ogun State remains a leader in education excellence.
“I feel fulfilled and honoured. I will continue to give my best and encourage fellow teachers to remain dedicated to nurturing the potential of every student,” he said.
The recognition of Mr Solanke reflects Ogun State’s strategic investment in education, commitment to teacher welfare, and the effectiveness of policies that have positioned the state as a model for academic excellence in Nigeria.
Ogun Gov Rewards Nigeria’s Best Primary School Teacher with Car, Bungalow
-
Business16 hours agoDangote Opens Refinery Investment to Nigerians With Public Share Sale Plans
-
Politics2 days agoPeter Obi Launches ‘Village Boys Movement’ to Rival Tinubu’s City Boys Ahead of 2027
-
Education1 day agoUTME: JAMB Clarifies Position on Hijab During Biometric Capture
-
News3 days agoPolice to Arrest TikToker Mirabel After She Recants False Rape Claim
-
International3 days agoEpstein, Ex-Israeli PM Named in Alleged Profiteering From Boko Haram Crisis
-
Politics9 hours agoTinubu Hails Wike as APC Dominates 2026 FCT Area Council Elections
-
Education2 days agoOgun Gov Rewards Nigeria’s Best Primary School Teacher with Car, Bungalow
-
Entertainment2 days agoTacha Condemns False Rape Allegations After Mirabel Admits Fabrication


