Connect with us

News

Bandits kidnap Katsina 91-year-old monarch, kill three in Kaduna

Published

on

Bandits have kidnapped a 91-year-old village head of Kunduru, Alhaji Ibrahim Ahmed, in the Kankia Local Government Area of Katsina State.

Gunmen also abducted 13 travellers in the Faskari Local Government Area of the state.

The suspected bandits invaded the monarch’s residence in Kunduru when most of the residents had gone to bed and whisked him away as they headed for the forest.

A leader in the village confirmed the victim as the father of Kashimu Ibrahim, one of the permanent secretaries serving with the Katsina State Government.

One of the monarch’s sons also confirmed the incident to journalists in Katsina on Saturday, saying the hoodlums attacked the village riding on motorcycles.

He said the bandits came Friday night when most residents of the village were asleep and moved straight to the monarch’s residence and abducted him.

He said the monarch had been sick and wondered why they kidnapped a sick old man.

“As we speak, his abductors are yet to contact the family,” the son added.

When contacted, spokesman for the Katsina State Police Command, Superintendent of Police, Gambo Isah, said he was not aware of the incident.

“I am not aware of that incident,” he said.

He explained that the victims were travelling to Funtua from Mai Gora to collect loans from a bank provided through a family support programme.

The police spokesman said three persons later escaped from the bandits.

He added that the police were making efforts to ensure that the abductees were rescued alive.

He said, “What happened was that 13 women from Mai Gora were travelling to Funtua for this family support loan facilities from a bank, somewhere before Dan Rimi village; these bandits came from the bush and shot at the tyres of the vehicle they were traveling in, forcing the driver to stop. Three women escaped while the remaining nine and the driver were abducted.

“We are making serious efforts to ensure that the nine women and the driver who are still in captivity are rescued alive. The incident happened at 10 a.m.”

Another group of bandits reportedly aided by some youths have attacked some communities in the Kajuru Local Government Area, Kaduna State, leading to the death of three persons.

A man suspected to have collaborated with the bandits was reportedly lynched by an angry mob on Saturday.

Kaduna State’s Commissioner for Internal Security & Home Affairs, Mr Samuel Aruwan, confirmed the killings in a statement, saying the police “are investigating the possible collusion of some youths and the bandits in the communities.”

Aruwan said the attacks started in Ungwan Sha’awa, where the bandits killed one Ubangida Dogo in his home, while his son, Jude, was injured.

The commissioner said that the hoodlums also attacked Ungwan Galadima in the same locality and killed one Bulus Gwamna.

He added that another attack by the bandits in Ungwan Gamu claimed the life of one Daniel Danlami.

The statement read in part, “Security agencies are investigating alleged collaboration with bandits by some locals, during recent disturbing attacks in Kajuru Local Government Area.

“The sequence of reported attacks began in Ungwan Sha’awa in Kajuru local government area, where armed bandits killed one Ubangida Dogo in his home. According to the report, his son, Jude Ubangida was injured by the bandits and is receiving treatment in hospital.

“As the bandits withdrew from the village, they also attacked Ungwan Galadima in the same locality and killed one Bulus Gwamna. In Ungwan Gamu along the same trail, one Daniel Danlami was similarly killed by the marauding bandits.”

Preliminary investigations, Aruwan said, suggested that the bandits conducted the attacks with the aid of some local youths.

News

Adeleke Sacks Over 10,000 Workers Newly Recruited by Oyetola

Published

on

Osun State Former Governor, Gboyega Oyetola and Governor of Osun, Ademola Adeleke

New Governor of Osun, Ademola Adeleke, has nullified the recruitment of over 10,000 workers most of them teachers who benefitted from employments shortly before the end of the tenure of former Governor, Gboyega Oyetola.

This was part of the Six Executive Orders issued and signed by the Governor on Monday. Adeleke was sworn into office on Sunday as the sixth elected governor of the state. His late elder brother, Isiaka Adeleke was the first elected governor.

READ ALSO:

In the Order 3, which bordered on employment, the order stated,

“All employments in the service of Osun State Government made in any capacity into any capacity in all the Ministries, Departments, Agencies, Commissions , Boards and Parastatals after July 17th, 2022 be and are hereby nullified.”
Information available to the NPO Reports showed that more than 10,000 people would be affected with the decision.

Continue Reading

News

BREAKING: Adeleke suspends OSIEC chairman, members

Published

on

Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke

The Osun State Governor, Senator Ademola Adeleke, has ordered the immediate suspension of the Chairman of the Osun State Independent Electoral Commission, Mr. Segun Oladitan.

A statement signed by the Secretary to the State Government, Tesleem Igbalaye, on Monday, also suspended six members of the Commission with immediate effect.

The suspension was said to have been based on several petitions bothering on financial impropriety, dereliction of duty, absenteeism and abuse of office against the said Chairman and members of the Commission.

READ ALSO:

The statement further read in part, “The Executive Governor of Osun State, Senator Adeleke, has directed the immediate suspension of the Chairman of OSIEC, Segun Oladitan, and the following members of the Commission;

I. Mr. Yusuf Oyeniran
II. Alhaja Suibat Adubi
III. Prince Yinka Ajiboye
IV. Mrs. Abosede Omibeku
V. Mr. Dosu Gidigbi
VI. Mr. Wahab Adewoyin

“This suspension is sequel to several petitions bothering on financial impropriety, dereliction of duty, absenteeism and abuse of office against the said Chairman and members of the Commission.

“Pending the outcome of investigation into the allegations against the suspended chairman and members of the Commission, the Secretary to the Commission shall hold forth in running the affairs of the Commission.”

Punch

Continue Reading

News

Senate uncovers N200m fraud in Labour ministry payments

Published

on

The Senate through its Public Accounts Committee says it has discovered fraud in the payments of over N208 million for the Zonal Skills Acquisition organised by the Federal Ministry of Labour and Employment.

The programme was organised in all the six zones of the federation in 2021 with N35 million for each zone apart from South East which had N32 million.

The money used for the programme was reportedly drawn from Service Wide Vote (SWV) which has become the subject of investigation by the Senate Public Accounts due to failure to subject the expenditure to the scrutiny of the auditor-general of the federation office before expenditure.

The Senate committee alleged forgery of signatures of participants in the programme.
The lawmakers, who received the lists of participants through the Senate Public Accounts Committee chaired by Senator Mathew Urhoghide, observed a few persons signed for the participants to collect their stipends in the six zones as the ministry allegedly failed to make available the phone numbers of participants in the programme.
Urhoghide wondered how the officials could pay millions of naira via cash for the programme instead of bank transfers.

The committee said the character of the signatures in participants’ list made it look the same and not a single person used his name as a signature.
The committee said the ministry would have used e-payment for the participants.

“The signatures can’t stand the forensic test if we subject them to the forensic test,” the committee declared.
Urhoghide said, ” The money ought to have been paid straight into the accounts, you see one person signing for many people. There is a clear violation of e-payment”
However, the ministry’s permanent secretary, Ms Kachollom Dajua, and other officials were said to have failed to give a convincing explanation to the committee as they argued that due process was followed in paying the participants.

Continue Reading

Trending