Sports
FG redeems 28-year pledge to Westerhof
The Federal Government has redeemed its pledge to one of the 1994 Super Eagles Team members 28 years after by handing over the keys of a 3-bedroom bungalow to Mr Clemence Westerhof, former Coach of the team.
The Minister of Works and Housing, Mr Babatunde Fashola handed over the keys to Westerhof at the prototype housing estate along Gwagwalada-Kuje road, on Wednesday in Abuja.
He was represented by Mr Solomon Labafilo, Director, Department of Public Buildings and Housing.
Fashola said that the government came up with the scheme called prototype housing scheme in Lagos, Abuja, Port-harcourt and other parts of the country.
“The programme was started in 2014 and we have phases I and II while the total houses completed and occupied are 206.
“The phase II is where the allocations for the two coaches were made, Jo Bonfrere has house 1A and Clemens Westehof has unit 1B,” Fashola said.
Fashola said government was committed to rewardiing citizens who made sacrifices to project the good image of the country.
READ ALSO:
- Osogbo shut down for Atiku/Okowa as LP guber candidate joins PDP
- 2023 Election: PDP admits Obi’s votes will affect its chances
- ICPC Arraigns Rector, others over N6m fraud
- Fuel queues to end soon, says NMDPRA
“It will interest you to know that government’s pledge to the 1994 Super Eagles was not fulfilled until when President Muhammadu Buhari approved that all the members be handed over their houses.
“Westehof was allocated his in the prototype housing scheme here in Gwagwalada and other beneficiaries were allocated their homes in the respective states of their choice in the National Housing Programme estates across the country.
“We handed over keys and Certificate of Occupancy today to former coach of the Nigeria Super Eagles who led the 1994 Team, Clemens Westehof.
“This is to show government’s resolve to ensure that Nigerians, irrespective of time, who made sacrifices to project the good image of the country are recognised and encouraged to keep working for the corporate benefit of all.
“We have entered a season of completion and handover of keys to beneficiaries in 35 states and the FCT to Nigerians who have successfully subscribed for houses built under the National Housing Programme (NHP) through the ministry’s website: Https:nhp.worksand housing.gov.ng.
Fashola said the web-portal was launched on Nov. 12, 2021, adding that over 13,000 applications had been received from Nigerians who have created personal account profiles on the website.
The minister, therefore, called on all Nigerians to avail themselves with the opportunity of owning a house in the 35 states and FCT that have been completed except for Lagos State.
Also speaking, the Permanent Secretary, Mr Bashir Alkali, represented by Mrs Lucy Uzodimma, said the ministry was able to fulfill the pledge by the government with the completion of the National Housing Programme estates in 35 states and the FCT.
Alkali said: “Nigerians should be aware that other members who had collected their houses did so in the National Housing Programme sites across the country.
“The philosophy behind the NHP is the provision of pilot scheme that is affordable, accessible and acceptable as contained in the National Housing Policy.
“The approach to the design and use of materials take cognisance of the cultural and climatic peculiarities of the region’s while responding also to the tenets of Building Energy and Efficiency Code (BEEC).”
Westehof, represented by Mrs Charity Biwet commended the Federal Government for fulfilling its promise after so many years, adding, ”it was something noteworthy.
“I stand in here with great joy to receive these keys to this beautiful edifice, I love the building and am sure the owner will love it.
“It is a promise kept and it is really encouraging to see that efforts are being recognised and rewarded. We appreciate this and I will convey the goodwill of the president and the minister to Mr Westehof.”
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the other beneficiaries who had since collected their keys and title documents to their homes were: Alloy Agu, Uche Okafor, Emmanuel Amunike and Thompson Oliha.
Others were: Peter Rufai, Efan Ekoku, Isaac Semitojo and Austin Eguavoen, among others.
Sports
Eric Chelle Requests $130,000 Monthly, Lists 19 Conditions to Extend Super Eagles Contract
Eric Chelle Requests $130,000 Monthly, Lists 19 Conditions to Extend Super Eagles Contract
Super Eagles coach Eric Chelle has reportedly presented a 19-point contract proposal to the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) as part of negotiations to extend his tenure with the national team. The proposal, formally submitted on January 22, 2026, includes a $130,000 monthly salary, provisions for his technical staff, and a wide range of operational and logistical demands aimed at enhancing his working conditions and technical autonomy.
Chelle, a Franco-Malian tactician, who signed a two-year deal with the NFF in January 2025, had previously been linked with European club opportunities, including Olympique de Marseille. The contract extension proposal follows Nigeria’s strong performance at the 2025 Africa Cup of Nations, where Chelle guided the team to a third-place finish.
The proposed 19 conditions go beyond salary. They include the provision of a private SUV with a chauffeur and security, a secure residence with 24-hour electricity, a furnished office with internet access and projector for tactical analysis, and flight tickets for his wife and two children. Chelle also requests GPS tools, customized training equipment, and the authority to choose international friendly matches.
READ ALSO:
- Mexico‑Based Nigerian fraudster Gets 8 Years for $1.3M U.S. Tax Fraud
- Ademola Lookman Scores Historic Goal as Atletico Madrid Draw 3–3 With Club Brugge
- Canada Opens New Express Entry Draw for Nigerian Workers, Others
On the technical side, the proposal seeks full control over player selection and call-ups, authority to travel abroad to monitor Nigerian players, and attendance at local league matches to identify talent for the senior team and age-grade squads (U23, U20, U17). Chelle also asks for official contracts for his staff, on-time salary payments, inclusion of his personal assistant in the bonus and allowance structure, and monthly meetings with all national team coaches.
Reports indicate that the proposal reflects Chelle’s aim for greater professional autonomy, operational support, and long-term stability while building a competitive Super Eagles squad for upcoming international fixtures, including 2026 World Cup qualifiers. The NFF has yet to confirm whether it will accept or reject the terms, amid ongoing discussions over budgetary constraints and logistical feasibility.
The submission has sparked debate among football stakeholders, with analysts divided over whether the NFF can meet all the demands, balancing the need for continuity with Chelle against financial realities.
Eric Chelle Requests $130,000 Monthly, Lists 19 Conditions to Extend Super Eagles Contract
Sports
Ademola Lookman Scores Historic Goal as Atletico Madrid Draw 3–3 With Club Brugge
Ademola Lookman Scores Historic Goal as Atletico Madrid Draw 3–3 With Club Brugge
Ademola Lookman etched his name into UEFA Champions League history on Wednesday as Ademola Lookman scored for Atletico Madrid in a thrilling 3–3 draw against Club Brugge at the Wanda Metropolitano Stadium in Madrid.
Lookman, the Nigerian international winger, became the first Nigerian to score for Atletico Madrid in a UEFA Champions League group-stage match, highlighting his growing influence at the Spanish La Liga club. The goal came during a pulsating encounter that saw both sides trade leads in an end-to-end battle.
Atletico Madrid initially surged ahead through early strikes, but Club Brugge responded with quick counterattacks to equalize twice. Lookman’s historic goal temporarily put the hosts in front, only for Club Brugge to equalize late in the game, ensuring a dramatic 3–3 finish.
READ ALSO:
- Canada Opens New Express Entry Draw for Nigerian Workers, Others
- South Korea Former President Park Geun-hye Jailed for Life Over Martial Law Attempt
- Hisbah Arrests Nine Muslims for Allegedly Breaking Ramadan Fast in Kano
The result keeps Atletico in contention for progression from Group D, but it also underscores the challenges facing Diego Simeone’s side in balancing domestic and European commitments. Lookman’s performance, however, has been widely praised by pundits, with analysts noting his pace, vision, and finishing ability as key assets for Atletico Madrid’s attack.
For Lookman, this goal adds to a growing reputation as a breakthrough Nigerian talent in Europe, joining the ranks of compatriots who have made their mark in top-tier European competitions. Fans and media alike celebrated his contribution, highlighting the significance of his milestone in both club and international football history.
Ademola Lookman, who previously played for clubs in the English Premier League, moved to Atletico Madrid in January 2026. Known for his speed, dribbling, and versatility on the wings, Lookman has steadily adapted to the Spanish game, making appearances in La Liga, Copa del Rey, and UEFA Champions League matches.
This Champions League goal marks a historic first for a Nigerian player at Atletico Madrid, reflecting the increasing presence of Nigerian talent in elite European competitions.
Ademola Lookman Scores Historic Goal as Atletico Madrid Draw 3–3 With Club Brugge
Sports
Arsenal Blow Two-Goal Lead as Bottom Club Wolves Hold Gunners to 2–2 Draw
Arsenal Blow Two-Goal Lead as Bottom Club Wolves Hold Gunners to 2–2 Draw
Arsenal surrendered a commanding two-goal advantage to settle for a damaging 2–2 draw against last-placed Wolverhampton Wanderers in a dramatic Premier League encounter at Molineux on Tuesday night.
The Gunners looked firmly in control early on, racing into a 2–0 lead and appearing set to claim all three points. However, a spirited second-half comeback from Wolves denied the title chasers victory and reignited questions over Arsenal’s consistency at a crucial stage of the season.
Arsenal struck first inside the opening minutes through Bukayo Saka, who capitalised on early pressure to put the visitors ahead. The lead was doubled shortly after the break when Piero Hincapié finished clinically following a set-piece situation, seemingly putting the game beyond the struggling hosts.
READ ALSO:
- Two Killed, Five Injured as Violence Erupts at APC Ward Congress in Ondo
- Carbon Monoxide Leak Kills 37 Miners in Plateau
- BREAKING: Tinubu Assents to 2026 Electoral Act, Sets Stage for 2027 Elections
But Wolves responded almost immediately. Hugo Bueno reduced the deficit with a long-range effort that shifted momentum and lifted the home crowd. Arsenal, who dominated possession for large spells, failed to regain control as defensive lapses and dropped intensity invited pressure.
Deep into stoppage time, substitute Tom Edozie completed the comeback, firing home a dramatic 94th-minute equaliser that sparked wild celebrations at Molineux. A late deflection off an Arsenal defender wrong-footed the goalkeeper, sealing a point that felt like a win for the league’s bottom side.
The result represents a significant setback for Arsenal’s title hopes, as dropping points against the Premier League’s last-placed team allowed rivals to close the gap at the top of the table. For Wolves, the draw offered a rare positive moment in a difficult campaign, underlining their resilience despite their position.
Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta cut a frustrated figure after the match, with the failure to protect a two-goal cushion once again proving costly in a high-stakes title race.
Arsenal Blow Two-Goal Lead as Bottom Club Wolves Hold Gunners to 2–2 Draw
-
Business14 hours agoDangote Opens Refinery Investment to Nigerians With Public Share Sale Plans
-
Politics2 days agoPeter Obi Launches ‘Village Boys Movement’ to Rival Tinubu’s City Boys Ahead of 2027
-
Education1 day agoUTME: JAMB Clarifies Position on Hijab During Biometric Capture
-
News3 days agoPolice to Arrest TikToker Mirabel After She Recants False Rape Claim
-
International3 days agoEpstein, Ex-Israeli PM Named in Alleged Profiteering From Boko Haram Crisis
-
Politics8 hours agoTinubu Hails Wike as APC Dominates 2026 FCT Area Council Elections
-
Education2 days agoOgun Gov Rewards Nigeria’s Best Primary School Teacher with Car, Bungalow
-
Entertainment2 days agoTacha Condemns False Rape Allegations After Mirabel Admits Fabrication


