Railway
Just in: Terrorists shot abducted Abuja-Kaduna train passenger
A kidnapped passenger of the Abuja-Kaduna train has been shot by terrorists and is critically wounded.
Tukur Mamu, the publisher who has been negotiating with the terrorists, disclosed this and identified the victim as Mohammed Al’amin.
Mamu, who facilitated the release of 11 of the passengers, confirmed the development to Daily Trust.
“I can confirm to you that the said passenger has been shot and the information is credible. It could also be intentional from them for the purpose of sending a message. Killing of their victims is something we know they can do. They have threatened to do that before,” he said.
He said the government must be prepared to take full responsibility if they fail to act on time.
Mamu said there had been constant communication but government was yet to take action.
He said, “I know what is in this crisis and that is why I keep emphasising that President Buhari must be prepared to take painful compromises if they are really committed to securing these innocent victims alive.
“With what we have succeeded in doing, the windows and opportunity we opened which there’s none hitherto, the government has the power to bring this to an end within three to four days.
“I assure them we can do it with their support and cooperation, and if it didn’t happen as long as government do the needful I will agree and accept to take full responsibility. Cases of emergency such as this doesn’t require unnecessary bureaucracy.”
![]()
Railway
NRC Cries Out as Vandals Strip Railway Tracks in Plateau, Bauchi
NRC Cries Out as Vandals Strip Railway Tracks in Plateau, Bauchi
The Nigerian Railway Corporation has raised fresh concern over reported coordinated attacks on railway infrastructure in parts of the country, warning that the growing wave of vandalism may trigger fatal train accidents and undermine billions of naira invested in the rail sector.
The corporation said recent incidents recorded in Plateau and Bauchi states have exposed a dangerous trend of deliberate destruction and illegal removal of railway materials critical to safe train operations and national economic activities.
According to a statement issued by the Chief Public Relations Officer of the NRC, Callistus Unyimadu, one of the latest incidents occurred on May 21, 2026, when a truck loaded with suspected vandalised railway materials got stuck between Kuru and Science School in Plateau State, exposing the activities of criminal elements involved in the theft and illegal transportation of railway assets.
The NRC also disclosed that along the Zango axis in Bauchi State, between Kilometer 878 and 889, railway slippers were completely removed on both sides of a level crossing, leaving only a few disconnected rail components behind.
The corporation warned that the destruction of railway tracks, slippers, clips, fastenings and signalling materials poses grave danger to rail transportation, noting that such acts could lead to catastrophic train accidents, disruption of services, loss of lives and severe economic setbacks.
Describing the development as an attack on critical national infrastructure and public safety, the Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of the NRC, Kayode Opeifa, condemned the persistent vandalism, saying it amounted to sabotage against national progress.
He noted that the increasing incidents across the North Central and North East railway corridors indicate an alarming pattern requiring urgent intervention from security agencies, state governments, traditional rulers, community leaders and residents living along rail lines.
Opeifa appealed to Nigerians to regard railway infrastructure as a strategic national asset built with taxpayers’ money to support transportation, trade and economic growth, stressing that such facilities should not be reduced to scraps for illegal business activities.
He warned vandals, scrap dealers and other individuals involved in the unlawful purchase, destruction or movement of railway materials to desist immediately or face prosecution.
The corporation further called on security agencies to strengthen surveillance and enforcement operations around railway corridors nationwide, while urging members of the public to remain vigilant and promptly report suspicious activities around railway facilities.
The NRC urged Nigerians to join hands in protecting railway infrastructure, insisting that the nation’s rail system remains too important to be left vulnerable to criminal attacks.
![]()
Railway
Sallah Rush: NRC Adds Extra Lagos-Ibadan Train Trips, Osun Sponsors Free Rail Service
Sallah Rush: NRC Adds Extra Lagos-Ibadan Train Trips, Osun Sponsors Free Rail Service
The Nigerian Railway Corporation has announced additional train services on the busy Lagos–Ibadan corridor ahead of the Sallah celebration, citing an anticipated surge in passenger traffic during the festive period.
In a statement signed by the Corporation’s Chief Public Relations Officer, Callistus Unyimadu, the rail operator said six train trips would operate on Tuesday, May 26, 2026, instead of the regular four trips currently running on the Lagos–Ibadan Train Service (LITS) route.
According to the NRC management, the temporary increase is aimed at easing movement for Nigerians travelling to celebrate Sallah with their families and loved ones.
Under the special arrangement, trains will depart from the Lagos end at 7:45am, 1:40pm and 4:00pm, while departures from Ibadan are scheduled for 8:00am, 10:50am and 4:30pm.
The corporation stressed that the expanded operations are only for the Sallah travel window, noting that the normal four-trip Tuesday timetable would resume immediately after the festivities.
It also disclosed that the recently introduced six-trip Thursday operations on the corridor would be temporarily scaled down next week, with only four trips scheduled for Thursday, May 28, during the review period. The regular Thursday six-trip schedule will return the following week.
Meanwhile, the Osun State Government is set to operate its annual free Sallah train service on the NRC narrow gauge line for indigenes travelling home for the celebration in Osogbo.
The special train service will depart from Iddo Station in Lagos on Tuesday, May 26, while the return journey from Osogbo to Lagos is scheduled for Thursday, May 28.
NRC explained that the service, traditionally provided during festive seasons, is being sponsored by the Osun State Government through a paid partnership with the Corporation to enable Osun indigenes travel free of charge for the Sallah celebration.
The management reaffirmed the corporation’s commitment to providing safe, efficient and reliable rail transport services across the country, while wishing Nigerians a peaceful and memorable Sallah celebration.
![]()
Railway
NRC worries over stone attacks on Abuja-Kaduna trains
NRC worries over stone attacks on Abuja-Kaduna trains
The Nigerian Railway Corporation (NRC) has raised the alarm over a surge in attacks on trains operating along the Abuja–Kaduna corridor, warning that the incidents pose growing risks to passenger safety and critical transport infrastructure.
In the latest episode, suspected vandals reportedly targeted a moving train around Kilometre 177, hurling stones that shattered the windscreen of the lead locomotive.
The attack is one of several recorded in recent weeks along the busy rail line.
According to a statement by the NRC’s Chief Public Relations Officer, Callistus Unyimadu, similar incidents have occurred in multiple locations, including Gidan Busa/Sarki Gora Village in Kakau District, Chikun Local Government Area of Kaduna State.
He disclosed that no fewer than six attack points have been identified along the corridor within a short period.
The corporation described the pattern as a dangerous escalation that threatens not only passengers and railway personnel but also the integrity of rail infrastructure.
It warned that such acts amount to economic sabotage capable of disrupting a key transport link and undermining significant government investment in the sector.
Despite the attacks, the NRC said train services had continued under heightened security and operational vigilance, with personnel maintaining strict safety protocols to protect passengers.
The agency commended security operatives for their ongoing efforts in safeguarding the corridor and noted that it is collaborating closely with security agencies, community leaders, and other stakeholders to strengthen surveillance and track down those responsible.
Appealing for public cooperation, the NRC urged residents along the rail line to remain vigilant, report suspicious activities, and discourage acts of vandalism.
It cautioned that continued attacks could disrupt service delivery if not urgently addressed, while reaffirming its commitment to safe, secure, and efficient rail operations nationwide.
![]()
-
Politics2 days agoAdelabu: Oyo APC’s 153,640 Members Can’t Produce 578,143 Votes
-
metro2 days agoOyo Kidnapping: Bandits Insist on Negotiating Only with Makinde
-
metro2 days agoFRSC Officials Disarm Alleged DSS Officer After Shooting Incident In Abuja
-
metro2 days agoDrug Test Ordered as Anambra Police Discipline ASP Who Threatened to Kill Bystanders Filming Him
-
Politics2 days agoAPC Names Fubara, Other Governors As Coordinators For Presidential Primary
-
International2 days agoUS Ends 60-Year Policy, Orders Nigerians, Others Home for Green Card Processing
-
metro2 days agoEid-el-Kabir: Ram Sellers Lament Poor Patronage as Prices Hit N700,000
-
Politics2 days agoFayemi Reveals How He Convinced Peter Obi To Greet Tinubu At Vatican
