Terrorists ambush gov convoy, kill 15 soldiers, policemen, others – Newstrends
Connect with us

News

Terrorists ambush gov convoy, kill 15 soldiers, policemen, others

Published

on

Terrorists suspected to be Boko Haram members on Friday killed 15 security personnel in an ambush on the convoy of the Borno State Governor, Babagana Zulum.

Sources told AFP that eight policemen, three soldiers, and four members of a government-backed militia were killed in the attack on vehicles carrying the Borno governor near the town of Baga on the shores of Lake Chad.

The insurgents reportedly opened fire on the convoy with machine guns and rocket-propelled grenades as the governor’s team was passing through a village close to the headquarters of the Multinational Joint Task Force, a military coalition of troops from Nigeria, Niger, Chad and Cameroon.

“The governor escaped unhurt but 15 security men on the convoy were killed in a fierce battle with the terrorists,” one source said.

Zulum was on an assessment tour of Baga in preparation for the return of thousands of residents displaced from the town by the jihadists in 2014, the sources said.

The governor flew on a helicopter into the garrison town of Monguno, 60 kilometres (40 miles) away, and headed to Baga in a convoy under tight security, one of the sources said.

The IS-affiliated Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP) group maintains most of its camps on islands in Lake Chad and the region is known as a bastion for the jihadists.

The militant group has recently intensified attacks on military and civilian targets in the region.

In July, Zulum’s convoy came under gun attack from ISWAP outside Baga, forcing him to cancel his trip to the town.

Last week, the group killed a Nigerian army commander along with three soldiers in an ambush near the town of Damboa.
Civilians plying highway linking Monguno and the regional capital Maiduguri said the jihadists set up daily checkpoints, robbing, killing and abducting passengers.

The decade-long insurgency in northeast Nigeria has killed about 36,000 people and forced over two million to vacate their homes.

Most of the displaced have been housed in squalid camps where they depend on food handouts from international charities.

Local authorities have been encouraging the displaced people to go back home despite concern from aid agencies of the security risks to which the returnees would be exposed.
Last week, Zulum said feeding the displaced was not financially sustainable, insisting the only option was for them to return and rebuild their homes and live a “dignified” life.
ISWAP splintered from the main Boko Haram group in 2016 and has gone on to be the dominant insurgent force in the region.

News

Nigerian pilgrim returns €1,750 found in Makkah

Published

on

Nigerian pilgrim returns €1,750 found in Makkah

A Nigerian pilgrim, Muhammad Na’Allah from Gumi Local Government Area of Zamfara State, has returned the sum of €1,750 (one thousand seven hundred and fifty euros) which he found at the Haram in Makkah.

The returned money was handed over to the National Hajj Commission of Nigeria (NAHCON) for onward delivery to its rightful owner.

READ ALSO:

Na’Allah was accompanied to the NAHCON office in Ummuljud, Makkah by officials of the Zamfara State Pilgrims Welfare Board. The Chairman/CEO of NAHCON, Malam Jalal Ahmad Arabi, praised the pilgrim for his honesty and integrity.

He highlighted that Na’Allah’s gesture symbolizes the meaning of his name, which reflects closeness to Allah.

“This shows his pilgrimage has positively impacted his personal character, behavior, and attitude,” Arabi remarked, commending the pilgrim’s honorable action.

Continue Reading

News

BREAKING: NELFUND postpones student loan application for state varsities

Published

on

BREAKING: NELFUND postpones student loan application for state varsities

The Management of the Nigerian Education Loan Fund (NELFUND) announced on Tuesday a 14-day postponement of the student loan application process for state institutions due to “low data submissions.”

The delay is caused by several state-owned institutions not uploading the required student data and fee information to the NELFUND Student Verification System.

According to a statement by NELFUND in Abuja, only a limited number of state-owned institutions have completed the data submission process: 20 out of 48 state universities, 12 out of 54 state colleges, and 2 out of 49 state polytechnics.

This insufficient data submission poses significant challenges to ensuring a seamless and accurate verification process for student loan applicants.

READ ALSO:

The application window, originally set to open on June 25, 2024, will now commence on July 10, 2024. The extension is intended to provide additional time for state institutions to comply with the data submission requirements, ensuring that their students can benefit from the Federal Government’s student loan scheme.

To facilitate an efficient and error-free application process, it is crucial that all state institutions provide complete and accurate information. This includes JAMB numbers, matriculation numbers, admission numbers, full names, level, faculties, departments, program duration, fees, and the gender of all eligible students.

Incomplete or incorrect data submissions will result in application delays and potential disqualification for affected students.

The fund urged all state institutions to expedite their data submission processes and ensure the accuracy of the information provided. Institutions that fail to meet the revised deadline risk disadvantaging their students, who depend on these loans to support their education.

BREAKING: NELFUND postpones student loan application for state varsities

Continue Reading

News

Sultan: Check your facts well, Sokoto govt replies Shettima

Published

on

President-General and Sultan of Sokoto, Alhaji Muhammad Sa’ad Abubakar III

Sultan: Check your facts well, Sokoto govt replies Shettima

The Sokoto state government has asked Vice President Kashim Shettima to always cross check facts before commenting on sensitive national matters.

Responding to the warning publicly made by the Vice President at the Northwest Security summit in Katsina on Monday, the state government said the Vice President should have contacted Governor Ahmed Aliyu to verify the news which made rounds on the purported plan to depose Sultan Muhammadu Sa’ad Abubakar before going public.

In a statement signed by the spokesman of Governor Aliyu, Abubakar Bawa, the government urged the Vice President to always have full knowledge of issues of national concern before commenting on them.

“We sincerely expected the Vice President to have consulted the Governor before going public.

READ ALSO:

“As an elder statesman and a father to all he should have facts and figures before judging on issues raised by mischief makers and the mushroom social media handlers known for negative propaganda.

“The fact of the matter is that there was never any attempt to sack the Sultan nor have we sent him any threat regarding that.

“Sultan enjoys all the powers he is entitled to. We never denied him any of his freedom or rights .

“We therefore do not need to be told to guard, protect, and promote the Sultan. It is our sole responsibility.

“The government and People of Sokoto cherish and adore the sultanate council and would do everything possible to protect the dignity of the revered institution. The Government to this end reassures all Nigerians that, it will continue to protect the sultanate council and its dignity at all times,” the statement read.

Sultan: Check your facts well, Sokoto govt replies Shettima

Continue Reading

Trending