News
Impeachment: Soyinka backs lawmakers against Buhari
• Nobel Laureate faults President for anointing successor
Nobel Laureate, Wole Soyinka, has backed the six weeks ultimatum given to the President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), by some federal lawmakers to find a solution to terrorism or be impeached.
Soyinka spoke on Tuesday in Abeokuta, Ogun State, during an interactive session organised to celebrate the 50th anniversary of Abeokuta Club.
The session, which had a Senior Advocate of Nigeria, Femi Falana; the Registrar of the Joint Administration and Matriculation Board, Prof. Ishaq Oloyede; a lawyer, Gbenga Adeoye; a businessman, Ogo-Oluwa Bankole; and the spokesman of the Electricity Distribution Companies, Sunday Oduntan, as panellists, had as its theme “Good governance or mis-governance: The contract called democracy.”
The PUNCH reports that senators and members of the House of Representatives elected on the platform of the Peoples Democratic Party had last week handed down the ultimatum over lingering insecurity in the country.
Soyinka, who was the session’s moderator, noted that the President should be impeached because he had breached the contract of democracy.
READ ALSO:
- High diesel cost killing business, Obasanjo warns
- British Airways suspends short-haul flights from Heathrow
- Oliver Alawuba replaces Kennedy Uzoka as UBA GMD
He said, “Democracy indicates a contract, that is why the candidate puts on a manifesto. On the basis of that manifesto, the candidate is either accepted or rejected.
“Very often, the grounds for breach of contract, I think we all agree, is mis-governance and one of the ways of breaking this kind of contract we know even before the duration of a contract is known as impeachment.
“The reason we will go by some legislators to impeach the President who is the head of government. In fact, one cleric has gone even further. He believes that the impeachment should take place not in the legislative home but in the bush with the kidnappers and he appealed to the kidnappers to quicken the process by impeaching the President and take him away and some of his aides and one or two governors.”
Soyinka, however, threw the question to the gathering whether the President should be impeached or not and majority of the people who comprised members of the club and other dignitaries raised their hands that Buhari be impeached.
He also faulted a situation where Buhari, who he said had performed abysmally to the point that lawmakers are considering impeachment, will decide who succeeds him at the end of his tenure.
He added, “In any democracy, any president, prime minister or whatever is entitled to one vote. We are not saying we should disenfranchise somebody because they are on top of governance.
“They had their right to campaign for any candidate they like but there is nothing in any constitution that I know of, in any democratic constitution, which says that the head of government should appoint his or her successor.
“I am not aware of it and this is a head of governance who is generally agreed, I believe, as having failed, having misgoverned to the point that impeachment is being considered.
“I hear the governors go to this individual, go to this failure and say to him ‘please give us your successor.’
“Many of us in this country, including governors, including chairmen of local governments, what comprehension they have of this process called democracy because what these governors are telling us is that after a failure has occupied a seat of government for eight years, that failure should give us another failure for another eight years.”
Soyinka urged the governors to stop desecrating democracy by enthroning a dynasty of failure.
Falana, in his remarks, corroborated Soyinka’s submission on the need to stop the abuse of democratic process.
He decried the imposition of leaders on Nigerians.
Oloyede, in his submission, urged Nigerians not to focus on the faults of the Federal Government but concentrate on the state governments’ involvement in the failure.
News
FG Seals Plateau Mine After 37 Killed in Toxic Gas Tragedy
FG Seals Plateau Mine After 37 Killed in Toxic Gas Tragedy
The Federal Government has ordered the immediate closure of a mining site in Zuraq, Wase Local Government Area of Plateau State, following the death of 37 miners in a suspected toxic gas exposure.
Minister of Solid Minerals Development, Dr. Dele Alake, directed that the site be sealed to prevent further casualties and pave the way for a comprehensive investigation into the tragedy.
According to local authorities, the victims were exposed to poisonous gaseous emissions in the early hours of Tuesday while working in an underground pit. At least 25 other miners are currently receiving treatment in hospital.
In a statement issued in Abuja by his Special Assistant on Media, Segun Tomori, the minister disclosed that the affected site falls under Mining Licence 11810, operated by Solid Unit Nigeria Limited and owned by Abdullahi Dan-China.
READ ALSO:
- Troops Kill Five Kidnappers, Rescue Abducted Woman in Plateau
- Sowore Condemns Electoral Act 2026 as Threat to Nigeria’s Democracy
- DSS Takes El-Rufai into Custody After Two Nights at EFCC Headquarters
Alake said a high-level investigative team led by the ministry’s Permanent Secretary, Yusuf Yabo, has been deployed to the area to determine both the immediate and remote causes of the disaster and recommend appropriate sanctions. The team comprises mining engineers, environmental compliance officers and experts in artisanal mining operations.
Preliminary findings indicate that the licensed operator allegedly ceded the pit to members of the host community following agitation for economic empowerment. The area, reportedly an abandoned lead site, contained stored minerals capable of emitting sulphuric oxide — a hazardous substance.
Unaware of the danger, villagers engaged in mining activities and were exposed to the toxic fumes.
The minister described the incident as a tragic loss of innocent Nigerians striving to make a living and extended condolences to Plateau State Governor Caleb Mutfwang and families of the victims.
He assured that further updates would be provided as investigations progress, stressing the government’s commitment to enforcing safety and environmental standards in the mining sector.
FG Seals Plateau Mine After 37 Killed in Toxic Gas Tragedy
News
Tinubu Ends NNPCL Oil Revenue Deductions, Orders Full FAAC Remittance
Tinubu Ends NNPCL Oil Revenue Deductions, Orders Full FAAC Remittance
President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has signed a sweeping executive order mandating the direct remittance of all oil and gas revenues into the Federation Account Allocation Committee (Federation Account Allocation Committee), in what is regarded as one of the most significant fiscal reforms since the enactment of the Petroleum Industry Act (PIA).
The directive, announced by presidential spokesperson Bayo Onanuga, requires that all proceeds from royalty oil, tax oil, profit oil, and profit gas be paid in full into the federation account without deductions, before statutory distribution to the federal, state, and local governments.
A central element of the order strips Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited (NNPCL) of its long-standing 30 per cent management fee on profit oil and profit gas, a deduction that has repeatedly drawn criticism for significantly reducing funds available for sharing among the three tiers of government. The presidency said the practice undermined constitutional revenue entitlements and weakened public finances.
In addition, the president directed that the 30 per cent Frontier Exploration Fund created under the PIA will no longer be retained or managed by NNPCL. Instead, all funds previously set aside under the arrangement will now flow directly into the federation account for FAAC distribution, altering the financing structure for frontier basin exploration activities.
READ ALSO:
- Lagos DSVA Confirms Mirabel Assault Happened in Ogun, Transfers Case
- Arsenal Blow Two-Goal Lead as Bottom Club Wolves Hold Gunners to 2–2 Draw
- Two Killed, Five Injured as Violence Erupts at APC Ward Congress in Ondo
The executive order also affects the handling of gas flare penalties. Payments into the Midstream and Downstream Gas Infrastructure Fund have been suspended, with all proceeds from gas flaring penalties now to be paid directly into the federation account. Officials said existing environmental remediation frameworks already cover such obligations, making the additional fund unnecessary.
According to the presidency, the reforms are aimed at blocking overlapping deductions, including management fees and profit retentions, which collectively divert more than two-thirds of potential oil and gas revenues before they reach FAAC. President Tinubu warned that shrinking net oil revenues pose serious risks to national budgeting, debt sustainability, and overall economic stability.
The president emphasised that the new framework will reposition NNPCL strictly as a commercially driven national oil company, removing quasi-fiscal responsibilities while strengthening transparency, accountability, and oversight in Nigeria’s oil and gas revenue management.
To ensure effective implementation, Tinubu approved the establishment of an inter-ministerial committee comprising senior officials from the economic management team, justice sector, and relevant regulatory agencies. The committee is expected to coordinate legal, financial, and operational steps required for immediate compliance.
The president also signalled plans for a broader review of the Petroleum Industry Act, indicating that further amendments may be pursued to address structural and fiscal concerns raised by stakeholders, particularly state governments.
With oil and gas revenues remaining central to Nigeria’s fiscal health, the executive order represents a decisive move to tighten revenue flows, strengthen FAAC allocations, and reinforce fiscal federalism across the country.
Tinubu Ends NNPCL Oil Revenue Deductions, Orders Full FAAC Remittance
News
BREAKING: Tinubu Assents to 2026 Electoral Act, Sets Stage for 2027 Elections
BREAKING: Tinubu Assents to 2026 Electoral Act, Sets Stage for 2027 Elections
President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has signed the 2026 Electoral Act Amendment into law, setting the legal framework for Nigeria’s 2027 general elections.
The signing ceremony took place on Wednesday at the Presidential Villa in Abuja, with Senate President Godswill Akpabio and Speaker of the House of Representatives Tajudeen Abbas in attendance.
The new law, formally known as the 2026 Electoral Act (Amendment) Bill, was recently harmonised and passed by both chambers of the National Assembly amid debate and opposition from minority lawmakers.
The legislative process leading to the signing saw intense deliberations in both the Senate and the House of Representatives. Lawmakers constituted a joint conference committee to reconcile differences between their respective versions of the bill before transmitting the harmonised document to the President for assent. Earlier, Senate President Akpabio had indicated during an emergency plenary session that the President was expected to sign the amended bill before the end of February. That projection materialised within days.
One of the most significant changes introduced by the 2026 Electoral Act is the reduction of the mandatory notice period for general elections from 360 days to 300 days. Lawmakers explained that the adjustment is intended to give the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) greater operational flexibility in planning and conducting elections without breaching statutory timelines.
READ ALSO:
- Korope Drivers Shut Down Lekki–Epe Expressway Over Lagos Ban (Video)
- Kano Closes Entertainment Centres Ahead of Ramadan
- Asari Dokubo Warns Igbo Groups Against Sparking Religious Conflict in Rivers
The issue of electronic transmission of election results generated considerable debate throughout the amendment process. Under the new law, electronic transmission is permitted, while manual collation remains legally recognised, particularly in areas where technical or connectivity challenges arise. INEC retains the authority to issue detailed regulations and guidelines governing how results are transmitted and managed. Supporters argue the compromise reflects operational realities, while critics maintain that the changes may weaken transparency safeguards introduced in previous reforms.
Beyond these headline issues, the amended Act also makes adjustments to party primary timelines, candidate nomination processes, and collation procedures. It includes technical corrections across multiple clauses to improve clarity, reduce ambiguities, and strengthen administrative consistency ahead of the 2027 polls.
With presidential assent now secured, the 2026 Electoral Act becomes the binding legal framework governing presidential, National Assembly, governorship, and state House of Assembly elections. INEC is expected to review and align its regulations and operational guidelines with the new provisions as preparations intensify for the 2027 general elections.
The signing marks a pivotal moment in Nigeria’s democratic process, with political parties, civil society groups, and voters closely watching how the revised electoral framework will shape the next election cycle.
BREAKING: Tinubu Assents to 2026 Electoral Act, Sets Stage for 2027 Elections
-
News3 days agoSaudi Arabia Confirms Sighting of Ramadan Crescent, Fasting Begins Wednesday
-
metro2 days agoLagos Woman Shares Ordeal After Alleged Rape, Sparks Nationwide Outcry
-
News2 days agoRamadan Begins in Nigeria as Sultan Confirms Crescent Sighting
-
metro2 days agoSeven Killed in Horrific Crash at Ota Toll Gate
-
International17 hours agoCanada Opens New Express Entry Draw for Nigerian Workers, Others
-
metro3 days agoDeadlock at National Assembly as House Snubs Electoral Act Bill Meeting on E-Transmission Clause
-
News2 days agoKorope Drivers Shut Down Lekki–Epe Expressway Over Lagos Ban (Video)
-
Health2 days agoRamadan Health Tips: Six Ways to Stay Hydrated While Fasting


