FG begins disbursement of N50bn grant to small business owners - Newstrends
Connect with us

News

FG begins disbursement of N50bn grant to small business owners

Published

on

Minister of Industry, Trade and Investment, Doris Uzoka-Anite

FG begins disbursement of N50bn grant to small business owners

The Federal Government, FG, says it has started disbursement of N50,000 grants to nano business entrepreneurs.

Dr Doris Uzoka-Anite, Minister for Industry, Trade, and Investment, verified this over the weekend, stating that no fewer than 200,000 small business owners have received the payment.

According to her, 800,000 others will receive their incentives before the program ends on May 31.

This will raise the total number of beneficiaries to 1,000,000 Nigerians, split across 774 local government areas.

She explained that about 3.6 million applications were received out of which the beneficiaries were selected randomly from among those who met the conditions.

The minister said N50 billion is available in the 2024 budget for disbursement.

The programme is one of the palliative measures announced by President Bola Ahmed Tinubu in a broadcast on July 31, last year to cushion the pains of petrol subsidy removal.

The President, in the broadcast, said: “Our administration recognises the importance of micro, small and medium-sized enterprises and the informal sector as drivers of growth. We are going to energise this very important sector.”

READ ALSO:

In the broadcast, the President also announced that 75 manufacturing firms will be given N1 billion single-digit interest loans each to reflate their businesses.

Dr. Uzoka-Anite, in response to enquiries by our reporter, said: “The application portal was closed at midnight on April 17. The portal had to be closed due to an overwhelming number of applications totalling over 3.6 million.

“The Bank of Industry is ensuring transparency and accountability in the N50 billion disbursement using NIN, BVN and bank account details for verification to prevent duplication.

“They will also perform physical enumeration to re-verify information, including taking photographs of beneficiaries.

“The time frame for disbursement is the end of May 2024. The requirement for determining the beneficiaries is not based on particular criteria. The goal is to reach 1,290 beneficiaries per local government area across the country totalling one million people.”

On why many of the beneficiaries have not been reached, she explained: “We acknowledge that some of the beneficiaries are getting alert while others are not.

“The disbursement is subject to verification of NIN, which became mandatory after the initial application phase which required only BVN.

“The selection is random and without human intervention from those who have passed their NIN and BVN verification.

FG begins disbursement of N50bn grant to small business owners

News

Presidency Dismisses El-Rufai’s Thallium Claim as Diversion From N432bn Probe

Published

on

Former Kaduna State Governor Nasir El‑Rufai
Former Kaduna State Governor Nasir El-Rufai

Presidency Dismisses El-Rufai’s Thallium Claim as Diversion From N432bn Probe

The Presidency has dismissed former Kaduna State Governor Nasir El-Rufai’s recent claim that the Office of the National Security Adviser (ONSA) procured thallium sulphate, describing it as a politically motivated attempt to stir tension and divert attention from corruption allegations linked to his tenure in Kaduna State.

Officials said the allegation comes shortly after the Kaduna State House of Assembly reportedly endorsed a petition to the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) and the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), urging investigations into alleged financial improprieties totaling N432 billion during El-Rufai’s administration. The anti-graft agencies have since invited him for questioning.

Reacting to El-Rufai’s inquiry to the NSA, the Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Temitope Ajayi, said the former governor was spreading misinformation capable of generating fear and unrest, while attempting to portray himself as a victim. Ajayi stressed that no government procurement or importation of thallium sulphate had taken place through ONSA.

READ ALSO:

“Mallam El-Rufai certainly got a reply to his letter from the NSA’s office, and he should be honourable enough to release it just as he mischievously released his own letter,” Ajayi said in a statement shared on social media.

According to the Presidency, El-Rufai’s actions are designed to create political instability and shift public focus away from the corruption allegations he faces. The statement argued that he is attempting to “nationalise his personal challenges” with the Kaduna State Government, insisting the controversy is not about President Bola Tinubu or the NSA, but about his waning political influence after eight years in office.

The Presidency further claimed El-Rufai had lost support from key stakeholders in Kaduna, including political allies, and had fallen out with his successor, Uba Sani, whom he had previously endorsed. Government officials urged the former governor to abandon political theatrics and address the allegations through appropriate legal and institutional channels.

The controversy comes amid heightened attention to both the thallium sulphate claim and the ongoing N432 billion Kaduna corruption probe, with analysts observing potential political and legal implications for the former governor.

Presidency Dismisses El-Rufai’s Thallium Claim as Diversion From N432bn Probe

Continue Reading

News

Senate Explains Why Real-Time E-Transmission Cannot Be Mandatory in 2027 Elections

Published

on

Senate plenary

Senate Explains Why Real-Time E-Transmission Cannot Be Mandatory in 2027 Elections

The Nigerian Senate has defended its decision to make electronic transmission of election results discretionary rather than mandatory in the ongoing amendment to the Electoral Bill 2026, insisting the move is grounded in data, infrastructure realities and legislative responsibility — not political sentiment.

The controversy centres on Clause 60(3) of the proposed amendment, which originally stated that a presiding officer “shall electronically transmit the results from each polling unit to the INEC Result Viewing Portal (IReV) in real time.”

After debate, lawmakers retained electronic transmission but removed the mandatory “real time” requirement, introducing a caveat that where internet connectivity fails, Form EC8A — the official manual result sheet — will serve as the primary basis for collation.


Senate: Decision Based on Empirical Data

Leader of the Senate, Opeyemi Bamidele, clarified the chamber’s position in a statement issued through his Directorate of Media and Public Affairs, stressing that lawmaking “comes with huge obligations globally” and cannot be driven by emotion.

According to Bamidele, the Senate consulted stakeholders in the telecommunications and energy sectors before revising the clause. He said the decision reflects the “stark realities” of Nigeria’s communications and power infrastructure.

READ ALSO:

Key Data Cited by the Senate

  • Nigeria recorded about 70% broadband coverage in 2025, but actual internet penetration stood at roughly 44.53% of the population, according to figures from the Nigerian Communications Commission.
  • The Speedtest Global Index ranked Nigeria 85th out of 105 countries in mobile network reliability and 129th out of 150 countries in fixed broadband reliability.
  • In the power sector, approximately 85 million Nigerians lack access to grid electricity, representing about 43% of the population.
  • Although generation capacity fluctuates between 12,000 and 13,500 megawatts, only around 4,500 megawatts are typically delivered nationwide.

Bamidele argued that making real-time electronic transmission mandatory under such conditions could create operational bottlenecks, trigger disputes and potentially destabilise the electoral process, particularly in rural communities with weak connectivity.

“By global standards, real-time electronic transmission of election results may not be practicable at this stage of our development,” he said.


What the Amendment Means

The revised clause does not abolish electronic transmission of results. Instead, it provides flexibility in implementation.

The Senate maintains that Section 62(2) of the Electoral Act 2022 already establishes a National Electronic Register of Election Results, and the amendment aims to reinforce the framework without creating a rigid mandate that may prove impractical nationwide.

Under the current system operated by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC):

  • Results are entered into Form EC8A at the polling unit.
  • The presiding officer uses the BVAS device to upload a scanned copy to the IReV portal.
  • The portal allows public viewing of polling unit results for transparency.

READ ALSO:

The Senate’s revision would allow uploads to remain in place, but without invalidating results in areas where connectivity prevents immediate transmission.


Opposition and Public Backlash

The decision has sparked significant debate across Nigeria’s political landscape.

Former presidential candidate Peter Obi and former Rivers State governor Rotimi Amaechi have criticised the move, arguing that weakening mandatory real-time uploads could undermine electoral transparency and public trust ahead of the 2027 general elections.

Civil society groups and election observers warn that introducing a “network failure” clause may create loopholes that could be exploited during collation, particularly at ward and local government levels.

However, supporters of the Senate’s position argue that insisting on a strict real-time requirement without adequate infrastructure could lead to widespread technical failures, contested results and post-election instability.


House–Senate Differences and Next Steps

The House of Representatives is understood to favour retaining the mandatory real-time transmission language, setting the stage for a conference committee to harmonise both versions of the bill.

The final wording of Clause 60(3) will likely shape Nigeria’s electoral governance framework heading into 2027 and determine whether real-time electronic transmission becomes a statutory obligation or remains subject to operational discretion.

As debates intensify, the issue has become a defining test of Nigeria’s commitment to electoral reform — balancing technological ambition with infrastructural reality.

Senate Explains Why Real-Time E-Transmission Cannot Be Mandatory in 2027 Elections

Continue Reading

News

Osogbo Sons and Daughters Mark 5th Anniversary with Awards, Political Undertones

Published

on

Osogbo Sons and Daughters Mark 5th Anniversary with Awards, Political Undertones

The 5th anniversary celebration of Osogbo Sons and Daughters drew prominent indigenes, political office holders, traditional leaders and stakeholders to a colourful gathering focused on the development of Osogbo, the Osun State capital.

Members of the Osogbo United Youth Forum were also in attendance at the event, which featured the presentation of meritorious awards to distinguished sons and daughters of the town in recognition of their contributions to community growth.

Among the award recipients were the member representing Osogbo Federal Constituency in the House of Representatives, Alhaji Moruf Adewale Gangari; the Secretary to the Osun State Government, Alhaji Teslim Igbalaye; and the member representing Osogbo in the Osun State House of Assembly. Others honoured included the Chief Executive Officer of Mars Filling Station, Alhaji Eniafelamon, the Head Baale of Osogbo, as well as several other eminent indigenes.

The awards, according to the organisers, were aimed at appreciating individuals who have demonstrated dedication and service toward the advancement of Osogbo.

The Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, who was represented at the event by the Commissioner for Information, Kolapo Alimi, used the occasion to stress the importance of collective support for the administration ahead of the August 8 governorship election.

READ ALSO:

In his address, the commissioner noted that Osogbo and Ile-Ife are strategically positioned in ongoing political discussions concerning succession politics toward 2030. He stated that the town which records the highest number of votes in the forthcoming election could stand a stronger chance of producing the governor’s successor in 2030.

He also highlighted developmental projects executed by the present administration in Osogbo and urged residents to remain united in order to attract more dividends of democracy to the town.

Speaking earlier, the Secretary to the State Government, Alhaji Teslim Igbalaye, outlined several initiatives he said he had facilitated for Osogbo through his office. According to him, over 100 indigenes of Osogbo have secured employment opportunities since the inception of the current administration.

He added that arrangements were at an advanced stage for more Osogbo indigenes to occupy principal officer positions across tertiary institutions in the state. Igbalaye promised to provide the leadership of Osogbo Sons and Daughters with the names and phone numbers of beneficiaries to ensure transparency and verification.

He also pledged to donate a bus to the association, following a request by its President, Saheed Akinyemi.

The programme further provided an avenue for elected representatives from Osogbo to present their scorecards before the audience, promoting accountability and engagement with constituents.

In his closing remarks, the President of Osogbo Sons and Daughters commended dignitaries and participants for their presence and reiterated the organisation’s commitment to the continued progress and unity of Osogbo.

Osogbo Sons and Daughters Mark 5th Anniversary with Awards, Political Undertones

Continue Reading
HostArmada Affordable Cloud SSD Shared Hosting
HostArmada - Affordable Cloud SSD Web Hosting

Trending