Business
Court dismisses Dangote’s N100bn suit against NNPCL over oil import licences
Court dismisses Dangote’s N100bn suit against NNPCL over oil import licences
The Federal High Court in Abuja on Wednesday dismissed the N100 billion lawsuit filed by Dangote Petroleum Refinery and Petrochemicals FZE against the Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited (NNPCL) and six others over the issuance of petroleum import licences.
Justice Mohammed Umar struck out the case after counsel to Dangote, C.O. Adegbe, informed the court that the company had decided to discontinue the matter. Although the plaintiff asked for the suit to be struck out, defence lawyers urged the court to dismiss it completely, arguing that the case had already progressed to the stage of adoption of written addresses.
Delivering his ruling, Justice Umar said the suit was already at a stage where dismissal was appropriate, but since no costs were sought, it was dismissed without penalty.
The suit, initially filed before Justice Inyang Ekwo but reassigned to Justice Umar, sought to invalidate import licences issued by the Nigerian Midstream and Downstream Petroleum Regulatory Authority (NMDPRA) to NNPCL and five private oil marketers—AYM Shafa Ltd, A.A. Rano Ltd, T. Time Petroleum Ltd, 2015 Petroleum Ltd and Matrix Petroleum Services Ltd.
READ ALSO:
- Falana accuses Trump of making false claim on ‘Christian genocide’ in Nigeria
- Mexico’s first female President files complaint after street harassment
- Senate halts ministerial confirmation of Kingsley Udeh over pending security clearance
Dangote Refinery had asked the court to award N100 billion in damages against NMDPRA for allegedly breaching Sections 317(8) and (9) of the Petroleum Industry Act (PIA) by permitting fuel importation despite the refinery’s domestic production.
However, defence counsel argued that Dangote’s withdrawal was a strategy to refile an improved suit. They urged the court to dismiss the case outright to prevent what they described as an attempt to “panel-beat” the claims and return.
The NNPCL had separately challenged the case, claiming it had been wrongly sued under a non-existent legal name. It also argued that the matter disclosed no cause of action and was premature.
The NMDPRA, in its response, insisted that Dangote’s refinery had not met Nigeria’s daily fuel supply needs and that issuing import licences was necessary to prevent scarcity and protect competition in the sector. The oil marketers also warned that granting Dangote’s request would create a monopoly and jeopardise national supply security.
Earlier in March, Justice Ekwo had dismissed a preliminary objection filed by NNPCL and allowed Dangote to amend the suit to correct the corporation’s name.
With the case now dismissed, all claims by Dangote Refinery against NNPCL and the co-defendants stand terminated.
Court dismisses Dangote’s N100bn suit against NNPCL over oil import licences
![]()
Business
Otedola Dumps Geregu Stake, Invests $100 Million In Dangote Refinery
Otedola Dumps Geregu Stake, Invests $100 Million In Dangote Refinery
LAGOS — Chairman of First HoldCo, Femi Otedola, has announced plans to invest $100 million in the Dangote Petroleum Refinery, revealing that he sold his stake in Geregu Power Plc specifically to fund the acquisition ahead of the refinery’s planned Initial Public Offering (IPO) scheduled for September 2026.
Otedola made the disclosure on Wednesday after leading top executives of First HoldCo on a tour of the Dangote refinery and fertiliser complex located within the Lekki Free Trade Zone in Lagos. The delegation also visited major project sites, including the refinery’s jetty facility built to receive large vessels.
“On a personal note, I’ve appealed to him; I’ve been here with him 25 times. So, my compensation is that he’s going to allocate to me shares worth $100 million in the private placement,” Otedola said.
“That’s one of the reasons why I sold my stake in Geregu Plant — to invest my proceeds in the IPO of Dangote Refinery.”
Otedola’s planned investment comes amid massive investor interest in the refinery ahead of its public listing.
President of the Dangote Group, Aliko Dangote, disclosed that the company is targeting a private placement of approximately $2 billion and has already received requests from investors exceeding that figure.
“Right now, when we say we are going to do private placement, already we have people who have actually requested to buy, and we have requests of almost $2 billion,” Dangote told journalists.
“We are not selling after that, but we’ll see what we can allocate to them.”
According to Dangote, the private placement is part of the refinery’s broader IPO programme expected later this year.
Dangote confirmed that the refinery is expected to go public by September 2026.
“We are trying to make sure that by September, we’ll be out there in the market to sell the IPO,” he said.
READ ALSO:
- ‘Bad Loser’: APC Chieftain Knocks Desmond Elliot Over Surulere Primary Withdrawal
- Rivers 2027: Fubara Withdraws From APC Guber Race
- How Ojukwu ‘deliberately frustrated’ Nigeria’s last peace chance before Civil War — Gowon
He explained that the IPO is primarily designed to encourage retail participation and allow ordinary Nigerians to own shares in one of Africa’s biggest industrial projects.
“The IPO is mainly retail because our target really is to get the larger part of society to buy. We want ordinary people to benefit from the upside,” Dangote stated.
The upcoming listing is expected to become the largest IPO in African history.
Bloomberg reported on May 12 that the Dangote Group is targeting a valuation of up to $50 billion for the refinery business ahead of the IPO.
In 2025, Dangote hinted that the company could sell up to a 10 percent stake in the refinery, which Bloomberg estimated could raise about $5 billion.
For comparison, the MTN Nigeria listing in 2019 — which raised approximately $876 million — remains the largest IPO previously recorded on the Nigerian Exchange.
The Dangote Refinery IPO is projected to be five to six times larger.
Dangote also disclosed plans for a cross-border listing to attract both domestic and international investors.
The initiative is aimed at enabling Africans across the continent to participate in financing Africa’s industrialisation.
The move has already attracted interest from major African institutional investors, including representatives from South Africa’s Public Investment Corporation and the Government Employees Pension Fund — Africa’s largest pension fund — who recently toured the refinery complex.
According to FirstCap’s Chief Executive Officer, the Dangote Group has appointed several advisory firms to oversee the IPO process, including Stanbic IBTC Capital Ltd., Vetiva Advisory Services Ltd., and FirstCap Ltd.
The IPO prospectus was reportedly submitted to the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) in April 2026 for regulatory review and approval.
Located in the Lekki Free Zone, Lagos, the Dangote Petroleum Refinery currently has a refining capacity of 650,000 barrels per day, making it Africa’s largest single-train refinery.
The facility commenced large-scale production of diesel, aviation fuel, and petrol in 2024 after years of construction and investments estimated at about $20 billion.
Dangote noted that the refinery would account for approximately 10 percent of the refining capacity of the entire United States.
“It is going to be the largest refinery ever on earth. It is not a small business,” he said.
Beyond the investment announcement, Otedola praised Dangote for what he described as his transformational impact on Nigeria and Africa’s economy.
“I have no doubt in my mind. I’ve seen what he has done in Africa. I’ve been to six countries to commission his cement plants. Very remarkable,” Otedola said.
He described Dangote as “a colossus, a genius, probably one of the greatest men that has come out of Africa, for delivering us out of economic slavery in Nigeria and by extension Africa.”
Otedola also said the visit formed part of First HoldCo’s leadership retreat as the bank pursues its ambition of becoming one of the largest financial institutions in Sub-Saharan Africa within the next five years.
One of the most notable aspects of the planned IPO is the proposed dividend structure.
Under the proposal, investors would purchase shares in Nigerian naira, while dividends would be paid in United States dollars.
The arrangement is expected to be backed by the refinery’s projected $6.4 billion annual petrochemical export revenue, which would provide the foreign exchange needed to support dollar-denominated dividend payments.
However, the structure still requires final approval from the SEC and the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN).
The IPO has also been structured to attract Nigerian pension funds.
As of the end of 2025, Nigeria’s pension assets under management stood at approximately N22 trillion.
Analysts believe even a modest allocation from pension fund managers could significantly support what is projected to become the largest public offering in Nigeria’s history.
While the official IPO date is yet to be formally announced, Dangote said the company would continue working with advisers to finalise valuation details, complete the private placement process, and conclude all regulatory filings ahead of the September 2026 target.
The private placement — which includes Otedola’s $100 million investment — will allocate shares to select institutional and high-net-worth investors before the public offer opens to retail investors.
Dangote added that not all interested investors may receive allocations due to the overwhelming demand already approaching $2 billion.
For Otedola, the investment signals a strategic shift from power generation into refining and petrochemicals, reflecting growing confidence among Nigerian investors in large-scale industrial projects seen as central to Africa’s economic transformation.
Otedola Dumps Geregu Stake, Invests $100 Million In Dangote Refinery
![]()
Auto
Forland, TSS Motors strengthen technical capacity with specialised truck training
Forland, TSS Motors strengthen technical capacity with specialised truck training
Forland Motors, one of the world’s leading manufacturers of light commercial trucks, has strengthened its partnership with local assembler and distributor, Transit Support Services Ltd (TSS), through a specialised three-day technical training programme aimed at boosting the competence of technicians handling the brand’s vehicles in Nigeria.
The programme was organised to equip the TSS technical team, comprising assembly and after-sales technicians, with in-depth knowledge of Forland light trucks, which are assembled and distributed in Nigeria by the company. The training covered assembly, installation, troubleshooting, and maintenance, with the goal of ensuring high service standards in both vehicle assembly and after-sales support.
The training, held at the TSS Motors Training Centre on Ikorodu Road in the Anthony area of Lagos, was facilitated by Forland instructors who arrived from China, alongside TSS technical personnel drawn from Lagos, Enugu, and Abuja.
Also in attendance were technical personnel from Yuchai, the major supplier of engines to Forland trucks. Yuchai is one of China’s largest manufacturers of powertrain solutions.

Forland training at TSS office in Lagos
Providing further insight into the programme, the Head of After-Sales Services at TSS, Mrs. Phebian Iwalokun, said the training focused on general maintenance, engine servicing, and preventive maintenance programmes.
According to her, the initiative was designed to ensure that TSS technicians are fully equipped to manage the growing number of Forland vehicles operating in Nigeria.
She added that continuous skill enhancement had become necessary as TSS prepares for an expansion in production capacity amid increasing demand for Forland trucks across the country.
“Forland trucks are currently gaining ground in Nigeria, with over 1,000 units already in operation, mainly among fast-moving consumer goods companies, logistics firms, and last-mile distribution operators,” Iwalokun stated.
A subsidiary of ABC Transport Plc, Transit Support Services assembles Forland trucks at its plant in Enugu and provides technical and after-sales support to customers nationwide.
Forland has continued to build a strong reputation globally as a successful commercial vehicle and light-truck brand, with its products performing strongly in several international markets.
ABC Transport Group founder, Mr. Frank Nneji (right), presented certificates to the participants
![]()
Business
Rising Inflation Forces CBN to Hold Interest Rate at 26.5%
Rising Inflation Forces CBN to Hold Interest Rate at 26.5%
The Central Bank of Nigeria has retained the country’s benchmark interest rate at 26.5 per cent as monetary authorities move cautiously in response to renewed inflationary pressure in the economy.
Governor of the apex bank, Olayemi Cardoso, announced the decision on Wednesday at the end of the 305th meeting of the Monetary Policy Committee held in Abuja.
“The Committee’s decision is as follows: retain the Monetary Policy Rate at 26.5 per cent,” Cardoso stated.
The decision signals a pause in the Central Bank’s easing cycle after the MPC approved a 50-basis-point reduction in February 2026, the first rate cut after months of aggressive monetary tightening aimed at taming inflation and stabilising the foreign exchange market.
Analysts said the MPC’s latest stance reflects concerns over the recent uptick in inflation, despite earlier signs of moderation in consumer prices.
READ ALSO:
- Omokri Exposes Truth Behind Peru Drug Allegations Against Peter Obi
- Elliot Denies Violence Plot as Group Alleges Surulere APC Primary Disruption
- UUTH Raid: EFCC to Discipline Officers as Olukoyede Orders Apology, Full Investigation
According to the latest Consumer Price Index report released by the National Bureau of Statistics, Nigeria’s headline inflation rate rose to 15.69 per cent in April 2026 from 15.38 per cent recorded in March, representing a 0.31 percentage-point increase.
The increase has raised concerns among policymakers over persistent price pressures driven by food costs, energy prices, transportation expenses and exchange rate volatility.
The Monetary Policy Rate serves as the benchmark for lending rates across the banking sector and plays a critical role in determining borrowing costs for businesses and consumers.
Since assuming office, Cardoso and the current MPC have maintained a tight monetary policy stance to rein in inflation, attract foreign portfolio inflows and restore investor confidence in the Nigerian economy following sweeping foreign exchange reforms and broader macroeconomic adjustments by the Federal Government.
Economic experts believe the decision to retain the rate reflects the CBN’s attempt to balance inflation control with the need to support economic growth and private sector investment.
The committee’s decision is also expected to influence yields in the fixed-income market, banking sector lending rates and overall investor sentiment in the coming months.
Rising Inflation Forces CBN to Hold Interest Rate at 26.5%
![]()
-
metro1 day agoOyo Abduction: IGP Deploys More Detectives as Panic Spreads Across Ogbomoso
-
News6 hours agoBREAKING: Tinubu appoints Prof Segun Aina as new JAMB registrar
-
Education6 hours ago7 Key Facts About Professor Segun Aina, Tinubu’s New JAMB Registrar
-
International2 days agoThree Killed In California Mosque Shooting As Teen Suspects Die By Suicide
-
metro2 days agoIgboho Calls for Approval of “Iru Ekun Security Network” After Oyo School Attack
-
Education2 days agoUTME 2026: JAMB Gives Fresh Update on Original Result Slip Delay
-
Opinion2 days agoUnderstanding Ahmad Gumi Controversy and Nigeria’s Security Power Structure
-
News9 hours agoHajj 2026: Arafat Sermon to be Translated into Yoruba, Hausa, 33 Other Languages
