A midnight fire on Tuesday gutted some parts of the house of a popular Yoruba rights activist, Sunday Adeyemo, well known as Sunday Igboho.
The fire reportedly started around 3am in the building located in the Soka area of Ibadan, Oyo State.
The PUNCH reported that the source of the fire was unknown as of the time of filing this report but it was gathered that firefighters from the Oyo State Fire Service arrived at the scene a few hours after to put out the fire.
No statement has been obtained from Igboho on the incident.
Igboho, who is the Akoni Oodua of Yoruba land, last week asked herdsmen in the Ibarapa Local Government Area of Oyo State to leave within seven days.
At the expiration of the ultimatum last week, he and his followers had stormed the Fulani settlement in the ancient town to eject Seriki Fulani, Salihu Abdukadir, and herdsmen accused of perpetrating crime, ranging from kidnappings, killings, rape to invasion of farmlands with their cattle.
Some houses and property in the settlement of the Fulanis were torched but Igboho had distanced himself from the incident, saying aggrieved youths and residents of the town were responsible for the destruction.
Meanwhile, Oyo State Police Command has said it received a report that hoodlums loaded in a bus and taxi came to set ablaze the house of Sunday Igboho.
The Police Public Relations Officer in the state, Mr Olugbenga Fadeyi, said this in a statement on Tuesday.
Fadeyi also said the police were told that the arsonists shot in the air several times as they put fire to the house located in the Soka area of Ibadan.
He said the police had begun an investigation into the incident.
The police statement read, “At about 0620hrs of today 26/01/2021, a report was received at the Santo Police Station that some unidentified hoodlums came to Sunday Igboho’s house in the Soka area of Ibadan in a Hummer bus and Micra (taxi) firing sporadically, and set the house ablaze.
“The mini sitting room got burnt in the process while the value of other properties is yet to be estimated.
“Immediately the DPO Sanyo got wind of the incident, he contacted fire service while he also went to the scene for on the spot assessment.
“The fire was eventually put out. An investigation has commenced into the incident while the police are on the trail of the hoodlums.”
Court strikes out money laundering charge against Olisa Metuh, firm
A Federal High Court Abuja has struck out the seven-count money laundering charge filed by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) against former National Publicity Secretary of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Olisa Metuh and his firm, Destra Investment Ltd.
In a ruling on Monday, Justice Emeka Nwite held that it was of no use keeping the charge in his court’s docket when the prosecution and defendants have appeals pending at the Supreme Court.
Justice Nwite, who described the retention of the charge, marked: FHC/ABJ/CR/05/2022 as “an abuse of court process,” held that there was no way the case could return to his court without the Supreme Court first deciding the appeals by parties in the charge.
The ruling was on arguments by lawyers to the EFCC, Metuh and Destra.
- Nationwide outage as grid collapses to zero megawatts again
- Nigeria begins implementation of new national teachers’ policy
- Retired soldiers protect against non-payment of security allowance
At the mention of the case on Monday, Justice Nwite asked EFCC’s lawyer, Olanrewaju Adeola about the status of the case.
Adeola said the defendants – Metuh and Destra – were earlier convicted by the Federal High Court, which conviction was overturned by the Court of Appeal following the defendants’ appeals.
He said the prosecution has since lodged an appeal at the Supreme Court against the Court of Appeal’s decision.
Adeola added: “We understand that the matter was listed this morning at the instance of the defendants for application for the release of the first defendant’s international passport.”
Lawyer to Metuh, Afam Osigwe (SAN), who claimed that his client learnt, via the socio media, about hearing of case on Monday, said he had a prior discussion the EFCC lawyer on the status of the case, “because there is a pending appeal at the Supreme Court in suit number: SC/ CR/583/2021 between FG Vs. Olisa Metuh and another.”
Osigwe said the EFCC was, in the appeal, urging the Supreme Court to among others, reinstate the order of the Federal High Court, which was set aside by the Court of Appeal.
“So, in the light of the reliefs sought in that appeal, it will amount to an abuse of court process for a fresh prosecution to be commenced when they are asking for reinstatement.
Lagos scammers defraud, rape lady in uncompleted building
Two suspected fraudsters, Rotimi Fisher and Sherif Adebayo, have allegedly defrauded a 23-year-old girl in the Ipaja area of Lagos State.
The suspects also reportedly lured the victim to an uncompleted building on Majiyagbe Street, Ipaja, where Adebayo allegedly raped her.
PUNCH Metro gathered that the victim was on her way to a destination in Iyana Ipaja when Fisher approached her to help him locate an address.
The suspect, who reportedly presented himself as a foreign businessman to the victim, said he came to Nigeria to deliver goods to one of his clients at the address and to collect his outstanding payments.
A source said after Fisher approached people for help to no avail, the young girl offered to help, but upon checking the address, she did not know the location.
Seven passengers burnt to death in bus accident in Lagos
Seven passengers were on Sunday burnt to death in a commercial bus that caught fire in the Iyana Oworo area of Lagos State.
The Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA) confirmed the incident in a statement.
Permanent Secretary at LASEMA, Olufemi Oke-Osanyintolu, attributed the cause of the accident to reckless driving.
The statement said, “Upon arrival at the scene, a commercial bus of 14 passengers with registration number KJA 699 GY was discovered to have been gutted with fire.
“Further investigation gathered at the scene revealed that the incident occurred due to recklessness by the driver which resulted in the fire with 12 passengers trapped.
“Unfortunately seven victims, four males, two females and a male child were burnt to death. The driver escaped with some burns while three female adults were rescued and rushed to Gbagada General Hospital. A male adult was also attended to by LASAMBUS at the scene.”
The LASEMA permanent secretary said their remains had been bagged by the agency’s paramedics and handed over to the State Environmental Health Monitoring Unit (SEHMU).
He said, “Arrangements have been made by LASTMA officials at the scene for the removal of the burnt vehicle from the road. Road is partially opened for vehicular activities.”
ASUU strike: FG withdraws order to reopen universities
Osun 2022: Tribunal Adjourns Pre-Hearing In Suit Against Adeleke
Nkechi Blessing bashes critics of ‘dildo’ souvenirs at mom’s remembrance
CCECC completes Apapa port link to Lagos-Ibadan railway
Customs: Vehicle tariff reduction to begin next week
Biden, Treasury Secretary say Republicans COVID-19 aid too small
Wizkid trends, releases new single ‘Bad To Me’
American preacher, Creflo Dollar confesses he misled congregants, says tithing not biblical + Video
[UPDATED]Conflicting Reports Over Viral Video Of Soldiers Evacuating ‘Bandits’ In Kaduna + Video
Auto1 week ago
Mercedes firm, Weststar, appoints first Nigerian MD, Ojulari
metro1 week ago
2022 Budget: Research Institute’s Bid To Execute N80bn Constituency Projects Raises Eyebrows
News1 week ago
Just in: Air force again bombs enclave of terrorist leader,Turji
Education5 days ago
Soldiers, police prevent students protest on Kaduna-Abuja road, Third Mainland Bridge Lagos
Auto1 week ago
Excitement as Mitsubishi ‘Drive Your Ambition 2 with Under 40 CEOs begins
Politics1 week ago
Just in: ADC crisis worsened, party expels Kachikwu, others
metro1 week ago
Hisbah nabs man, woman having sex openly in Zamfara motor park
metro1 week ago
349 Ghost Schools Benefiting From Feeding Programme Uncovered In Nasarawa